We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels in Nags Head/Kill Devil Hills?

Archbald...
Level Contributor
43 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels in Nags Head/Kill Devil Hills?

Hi, will be travelling with 3 kids under 5 to the outer banks in early Sept. It seems to me that there is the most to do for the kids in the Nags Head area.

I am looking for the best hotel there. Only staying 3 days or so, so don't mind spending a few dollars.

Researching this website, and the web, is cumbersome. Conflicting opinions on places.

My two "Musts" would be to (1) be right on the ocean and (2) have a clean/safe hotel.

Does anyone have a recommendation for me? Either in Nags Head, kill Devil, or nearby? Thanks

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
598 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels in Nags Head/Kill Devil Hills?

Hi jdkpa! There are really not any lavish hotels in the area. The most unique and nicest is probably the Old Colony Inn, but it's not oceanfront as you have requested. Using your search criteria, I would suggest looking at the Colony IV and the Blue Heron. Both of these fit the bill for being clean, safe and oceanfront. If you would prefer a chain hotel, you could try the Comfort Inn North Oceanfront.

Let us know what you decide!

MB

Archbald...
Level Contributor
43 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels in Nags Head/Kill Devil Hills?

Thank you. Do you have any positive or negative opinions on any of these:

Surfside

Nags Head Inn

Best Western Ocean Reef

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
598 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels in Nags Head/Kill Devil Hills?

Of the three you have listed, the Surfside seems like it might fit your needs better. It offers flexibility in room choices, and other amenities like an outdoor pool and breakfast. The reviews here consistently note its cleanliness and helpful staff.

The Nags Head Inn does not have as many amenities as the Best Western, which seems not to inspire many people to want to return there as does the Surfside.

If you cannot find what you are looking for in this area, have you considered staying in the northern beaches area? Duck has the wonderful Sanderling Inn. It's on the high end as far as accommodations on the Outer Banks, but is very nice. Corolla has the Hampton Inn.

Lastly, you may be able to rent a home for a mini vacation, if that option would work for you. The Corolla Light neighborhood has lots to do with children. Hope this helps!

MB

http://www.surfsideobx.com/

http://www.thesanderling.com/index.aspx

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
598 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels in Nags Head/Kill Devil Hills?

Just wanted to add that the Best Western offers full kitchens, which may be a great advantage with small children. I do have friends that have stayed here often and have always been happy with their choice.

MB

…bestwestern.com/bestwestern/productInfo.do…

Archbald...
Level Contributor
43 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels in Nags Head/Kill Devil Hills?

Thanks. I have read Duck and Corolla are more quiet, less touristy, but I was guessing Nags Head had more for the kids to do. (Aquarium, pirate ship, etc.) Plus it seems that Duck/Corolla are another 20 miles north.

We will be driving from Chapel Hill, to Nags Head. After Nags head, we would be heading north to Norfolk for a flight.

One last question, we do have the option of skipping the outer banks and choosing another beach area. Either Myrtle Beach or Wightsville Beach. If you were me, and have never been to ANY of the above incl the outer banks, which would you choose?

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
598 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels in Nags Head/Kill Devil Hills?

Sorry, I can't help you there! Have never been to those beaches. The only other beach nearby that I have frequented is Virginia Beach. Have you considered staying there? It is very kid friendly and adults like it, too. They have worked hard to develop their family friendly atmosphere there and it is a lot of fun.

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
598 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels in Nags Head/Kill Devil Hills?

One last thing, if you chose VA Beach, you would also have the option of visiting nearby Williamsburg and Jamestown. By all means, not trying to talk you out of the Outer Banks. Va Beach offers a different beach experience from the Outer Banks. But since you are not decided, just wanted you to consider other options.

Archbald...
Level Contributor
43 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels in Nags Head/Kill Devil Hills?

Thanks for your help again. I am visiting a brother in Chapel Hill, which is the reason for my whole trip. I know the outer banks are not close to Chapel Hill at all, but I figured it is a good opportunity to finally get to see the outer banks. Once we leave OBX, we are driving north to norfolk for a flight home.

I did some further research, and it sounds like we can even rent a condo for 3 nites thru that SunRealty. Comparable rates to a hotel.

I guess my next question for you, would you opt to choose this condo idea over a hotel? Also, would you recommend South Nags, Nags, or Kill Devil Hills, given that I'd be there in early Sept? I understand Duck may be the most quiet choice, but it also seems to be about 25 miles out of my way, given that i'd have to backtrack to get up to Norfolk.

Thanks again.

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
598 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels in Nags Head/Kill Devil Hills?

Hello again! I was thinking about your situation today and it occurred to me that with 3 kids under the age of 5, they are not really going to be interested in a lot of what the Nags Head area has to offer. At least that is what I remember about my daughter when she was that age. Wouldn't they just be happy playing on the beach and maybe at a pool if available? So, your choice would be more what you would prefer. The beach is readily available everywhere.

As far as renting a hotel room versus a house or condo, the main things would be the amenities the hotel has to offer, i.e., room service, sheets, towels, etc. The last time we rented from Sun, the linens were not included in the price and we had to order them and place them on the beds ourselves. Don't we sound lazy!! But, it is vacation, right?

Other realty companies, Twiddy comes to mind, provide the linens and they are already on the beds when you arrive. Towels are provided, too. Perhaps this isn't an issue for you. Also, many homes provide cribs and high chairs.

Of the areas you mentioned, we love South Nags Head. There are no hotels, shops, etc., only homes. It's a short drive or bike ride to shopping, restaurants, etc., and you are very close to Manteo.

I hope you are not thoroughly confused with all this information!

MB

Archbald...
Level Contributor
43 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels in Nags Head/Kill Devil Hills?

Thanks for replying to my questions so fast!

Really, the main things for the kids are (1) sand (2) pool (3) ocean (as long as waves arent too rough, they are still scared) and (4) other kid activities like the aquarium. (5) proximity to restaurants

Things like go karts and putt putt don't concern me much, as they are too young for that. If there were some kiddie rides somewhere, that would be a plus.

As for the parents, we just want to relax, and make sure the kids have fun. We don't care what we do. As you know, kids come first.