We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Directions from DC

Aldie, Virginia
Level Contributor
30 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Directions from DC

Hi! We're heading down to Nags Head for the first time. Does anyone know the best route to take from the Washington, DC area? I got directions from AAA, but they don't always come up with the best/shortest route to take.

Thanks!

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
526 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Directions from DC

I'd probably take I-95 South to Richmond.

Then I-64 East past Norfolk.

Then pick up VA Hwy 168 South. After the NC border, it becomes NC Hwy 168.

Take that past Currituck and pick up US 158 East.

Take that down some ways, then it will go over a long bridge to Kitty Hawk.

Continue US 158 East to Nags Head.

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
598 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Directions from DC

ScoobyVA, I am not sure what the AAA directions are for the trip, but we use Mapquest's route and find it to be the best way to go. Perhaps others have their own ways of getting there that they prefer.

I have pasted their directions for you, but if I were you I would go on Mapquest's website and use their driving directions option. Type in "Woodbridge" as the starting location and "Nags Head" as the ending location. You will have nice printer friendly directions with a map, too.

Have a great time and a safe trip!

MB

1: Start out going SOUTHWEST on JEFFERSON DAVIS HWY / US-1 toward EASY ST. 0.8 miles

2: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto LONGVIEW DR. 0.4 miles

3: LONGVIEW DR becomes VA-3000 N / PRINCE WILLIAM PKWY. 0.9 miles

4: Merge onto I-95 S via the ramp on the LEFT toward RICHMOND. 73.2 miles

5: Merge onto I-295 S via EXIT 84A on the LEFT toward ROCKY MT NC. 14.7 miles

6: Merge onto I-64 E via EXIT 28A toward NORFOLK / VA BEACH. 64.0 miles

7: Merge onto I-664 S / HAMPTON ROADS BELT via EXIT 264 toward DOWNTOWN / NEWPORT NEWS / SUFFOLK / CHESAPEAKE. 20.1 miles

8: Merge onto I-64 W / HAMPTON ROADS BELT via EXIT 15B toward CHESAPEAKE / VA BEACH. 8.0 miles

9: Merge onto VA-168 S via EXIT 291B toward GREAT BRIDGE / NAGS HEAD (Portions toll) (Crossing into NORTH CAROLINA). 34.6 miles

10: VA-168 S becomes US-158 S. 40.2 miles

11: End at Nags Head, NC US

Total Est. Time: 4 hours, 39 minutes Total Est. Distance: 257.51 miles

3. Re: Directions from DC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 pm, August 13, 2009