We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nags Head in mid to late October

Which Nags Head hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Topic
Nags Head in mid to late October

Thinking of a late October (20-27) trip to Nags Head. Will we be able to kayak then? What is biking like? What kind of weather can we expect?

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
144 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nags Head in mid to late October

We'll be in Duck around that time this year. The water in the sound may be suitable for kayaking-but I'm not a kayaker so I'm not of much help in that area. As to weather...it's weather. There are no "norms" really. We've been there during weather that's warm and lovely, cold and lovely as well as Hurricane Sandy last year. The main positive, weather aside, is that there are no crowds of people. :-)

Chicago
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nags Head in mid to late October

The " no crowds" is why we like to travel in October. We've had good luck with weather in Oct. in SC. And we were in VA for Sandy last year. So I understand!

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
144 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nags Head in mid to late October

In our experience, Nor'Easters are worse than hurricanes in the Outer Banks. They either last for 1, 3 or 5 days. A hurricane is (usually) in and out in a day ("Sandy" was an exception as it was so big). I say go for it! Bring some good books and if the weather is bad for a few days, you have a good excuse to sit, read and do nothing! ;-)

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nags Head in mid to late October

Anyone saying Nor'easters are worse than hurricanes has never been here for a hurricane, I can assure you of that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only good thing I can say about a hurricane is that it will not come without warning, you will know in advance and you can easily stay up until the day before it hits, but there is no comparison to the violence of them with Nor'easters.

Kayaking in Oct is fantastic. The sound water is shallow and so it warms up quickly and easily. There are many places to put in and kayak from Pea Island north of Rodanthe to Kitty Hawk to Whalehead.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
144 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nags Head in mid to late October

To OBX200, my statement above should have read, "Nor'Easters CAN be worse than hurricanes". I've been through two hurricanes there - the first was a category 1 back in the '70s and the other was "Sandy" last November.

Chicago
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Nags Head in mid to late October

Looking at Oasis Suites and Surf Side. What is anyone's opinion?

woodbridge,va
Level Contributor
514 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nags Head in mid to late October

Oasis is on the sound near the bridge towards manteo so you would need to drive to the beach. Surf side is on the beach. It,s very nice ,we have stayed there a fee times . The rooms are large and if you get a corner room there is a larger balcony with double sliders. There is an indoor and outdoor pool and a hot tub. They also put out wine and cheese in afternoon. It is in a really good location close to restaurants and shops. It is one of the nicer hotels there Imo.

Chicago
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Nags Head in mid to late October

Is Surf Side walkable to restaurants, shops, etc.? It looks like from Oasis it's all by car.

woodbridge,va
Level Contributor
514 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nags Head in mid to late October

Surf Side is right in Nags Head, the mile post number escapes me however, but it is in a walkable area to restaurants , some shops and the pier. I would choose this over Oasis as it is ocean front where Oasis is bayside and you'd have to drive everywhere(not walkable at all due to the bridge).

10. Re: Nags Head in mid to late October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 20, 2014