We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you like sleeping with cockroaches?

Elkton, Virginia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Do you like sleeping with cockroaches?

I stayed in a beach house that i rented through Nags Head Realty, i paid a total of $720.00 to stay in this house for a week and i hate to say it but i was very very upset to find a cockroach crawling on my 8 year old son in his bed while sleeping at 8:30 in the morning, ( THIS IS MORE THAN UNACCEPTABLE TO ME!!!) I killed this cockroach and took it into the office and i explained what had happened and asked for a partial refund because to be honest if i wanted my children or myself sleeping with cockroaches i would have spent half the money and stayed in a local motel 6! I have done my homework on cockroaches and i have found that they are very filthy disgusting critters/pests, they carry pathogens that can cause disease such as: turberculosis, cholera, leprocy, dysentery, and typhoid, as well as over 40 other bacteria ( like salmonella) or viruses that can cause disease. When i spoke to the manager at nags head realty she didnt seem to care at all that this filthy roach was crawling on my child, she was very very rude to me saying" I dont give any kind of refund for bugs" So needless to say i WILL NOT QUIT until i am satisfied!!! i have contacted the Nags Head Health Department along with the Better Business Bureau. So my advice to anyone looking to stay with nags head realty on their vacation is to really think twice about what you're doing, and give another realty company your business!!!!!!!!!

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
3,037 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you like sleeping with cockroaches?

Research the environments that these bugs like. (we call them Palmetto Bugs) They love warm, moist environments...i.e. the coastal areas of the Southern U.S.

Did you find an infestation? or just one? If foods are kept in a closed up beach house, you can have an infestation (which a good cleaning and an exterminator can help with), but if you just came across one, there's just not much that can be done. We have a beach house that we keep very clean and we do not keep any food in the house when we are not there, occasionally we will find a Palmetto Bug in the house, usually after the house has been closed up for a while. Exterminators say there is no way to keep an occasional Palmetto Bug out of a coastal area house, the bugs come in via tiny cracks around doors, windows, space around plumbing, etc. They are seeking moisture, warmth and food. We've done our best to close any cracks/holes to the interior of our home and we were thrilled that we only saw one Palmetto Bug in the house all of last year, and so far this year haven't seen one.

People need to understand that these bugs are part of life in the area, just as things rusting very fast is. (salty, moist air + metal = rust)

If bugs and rust are offensive to people, they just need to find a different vacation area than the Southern coastal areas of the U.S. If you arrive at a vacation rental and find an infestation of bugs, call whomever you rented the house from. If you find one bug, kill it, then get back to enjoying your vacation.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you like sleeping with cockroaches?

+1 What UNCMickey said is absolutely correct. No matter where you stay on the NC/SC coast, actually all the way to Florida, regardless of who you rent from or how much you pay, Palmetto bugs will sometimes make an appearance...even in the cleanest houses.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you like sleeping with cockroaches?

I suspect the problem extends to the rest of the coastal South. I know we had problems when we lived in Texas, even inland a ways (San Antonio) -- kept the exterminator on speed-dial!.

This really is not due to mismanagement by Nags' Head Realty, or even the homeowner. As others have pointed out, just a fact of life in this part of the world.

Elkton, Virginia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you like sleeping with cockroaches?

I have an idea, go on google and type in images of cockroaches, then go on google and and type in palmetto bugs, u will find that there is no difference, so u call them what you want, im from the south as well and im not stupid, these are filthy critters and if u research them you will also find that they are nocturnal, so to see one in the daytime is a good indication that there is a heavy infestation, please believe me when i say i've done my homework, in my opinion any person who can live with them are just as filthy as the bugs are!

5. Re: Do you like sleeping with cockroaches?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:08 pm, June 20, 2012
6. Re: Do you like sleeping with cockroaches?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:17 pm, June 19, 2012
Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
3,037 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you like sleeping with cockroaches?

Think what you want; people who live and own homes in coastal areas of the U.S. know the truth. We've got hundreds of thousands, to millions of dollars invested in our beach properties.... do you really think most people who can afford such properties live in filth? Ha!!! With that big budget, buy a beach house and keep it bug free.... best of luck with that.

....As for hotels being better/cleaner than a rental home, think again! Bed Bugs are rampant these days especially in cheap, budget hotels.

Charlottesville, VA
Level Contributor
132 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do you like sleeping with cockroaches?

I would recommend not going to the beach ever again. If seeing one bug causes you this much distress, it really isn't worth going. You won't be able to enjoy your stay in a place that really does have bugs.

MD
Level Contributor
807 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do you like sleeping with cockroaches?

I don't like roaches either, but find your reaction to a single bug rather difficult to understand. If you're not being overrun with them, kill it and enjoy the rest of your week. You're only ruining your vacation by obessing over this. If there's a prominent infestation, notify the rental agency who can call in exterminators on the spot if you prefer, but do you want them spraying while you're in there? I wouldn't.

Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do you like sleeping with cockroaches?

One bug in a bathroom would not engender this sort of reaction.

Unfortunately, this bug was crawling on a sleeping child,

and things take on a whole new level when our kids are involved.

That being said, this is a COASTAL southern issue.

So those of us southerners who do not live near the coast have no experience with this.

In the western piedmont and mountains, bugs = dirt and disease.

In the coastal areas, bugs = moisture and heat and possibly some food someone once left behind once upon a time.

You can find an occasional palmetto bug in the swankiest and cleanest of deep south and coastal resorts (Disney being one of them).

Get answers to your questions about Nags Head