We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good family vacation??

Which Nags Head hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Harrison, New Jersey
Level Contributor
175 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Good family vacation??

We are going with another family to South Nag's head in June...is it a quiet beach and family oriented? We found a house that looks nice but don't want any surprises.. The house we might rent is :0857 - Makin Memories Too

Anyone know anything about this house?

Thanks so much guys!!

West Virginia
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Good family vacation??

Hi Jenne,

Well, I have been to OBX several times over the years and it's not as quiet as many of North Carolina's other beaches, but it is a nice area and there is lots for the kids to do and see (to compare it's a little like another Myrtle Beach, except it's not quite as big and there are no big high-rise hotels).

I have been vacationing at one of the NC's southern beaches (Holden Beach) for several years and I am always very picky about home cleanliness and quality and the house you picked out looks pretty nice. The only thing I would probably ask about is maid service because if the home doesn't offer it then they (the realtor) will require you to clean the home before you leave. I hope you enjoy your vacation, there is alot to do and see down there!

2. Re: Good family vacation??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:00 am, May 01, 2006
Harrison, New Jersey
Level Contributor
175 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good family vacation??

Yes I would love to be near things to do ..but am also looking for some privacy and quietness...Will I get that with South Nag's head..?? I have never ever been to NC for beach vacation before..

Thanks so much for your help

West Virginia
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Good family vacation??

If you are really looking for privacy and a quieter part of OBX you might want to consider Duck or someplace north of Kitty Hawk/Nags Head/Kill Devil Hills. There is about a 20 minute or so drive between the two areas but because of this (the privacy and quietness), I personally really like to stay at Duck when visiting OBX, it is much more low-key than the Nags Head area (this is partly due to the fact that from Kitty Hawk, south, Rt. 158 remains four lanes of traffic and is always busy).

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,348 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good family vacation??

And I personally like Corolla...quiet, everything you need, new grocery store this spring, Harris Teeter, to make things easier.

Your rental looks lovely...an older home on the ocean is it? I just saw the photo. I think South Nags Head is not too noisy and busy especially if you go from there to places south and don't go north too much...and especially in June.

You would definitely have the quiet in Corolla....or north of there if you have a four wheel drive. In the communities in Corolla you can get ocean views even if you're not oceanfront and lighthouse views too. Newer homes are generally larger than yours....I think it's a 2 bedroom?...to make the most of the land.

There are also homes on the soundfront. Magnificent sunsets, fishing, etc.

I have friends that love Southern Shores. It's just as you go over that road to OBX and there are shopping plazas, new ones too, so that makes it all easier as far as driving.

You might also look up resortquest.com and villagerealtyobx.com and see what they have that would meet your needs.

england
Level Contributor
182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good family vacation??

Duck and Corrolla (although a spot near the supermarkets is to be avoided) are "quieter" and quainter. I am a Brit who has visited this area on and off over 15 or so years and it has got busier. Have stayed in S Nags head but years ago. Recently stayed at Corrolla golf resort which was great with the children as you have a choice of pools/tennis and a small bus takes you down to the beach. (The pools are good if you do not want the children to fry on the beach and they have a party for the children on one evening) Have also rented house in Duck. As with most things American, lots of space and high quality. Try and stay in a house away from the highway as it is very busy (usually if you ask the realtor they are very helpful) There is a 4 x 4 area north of Corrolla which I have always wanted to visit and looks very peaceful.

7. Re: Good family vacation??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:59 am, May 01, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
424 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good family vacation??

We own a house in South Nags Head and did own one in Southern Shores. The Southern Shores/ Duck/ Corolla area has one main road, and it is extremely busy in the summer. South Nags Head has its own road for 5 miles and much less traffic. As pointed out, its still within a few miles of Manteo, Oregon Inlet and lots of shopping and restaurants. I prefer the peace and quiet of South Nags Head.

Delaware
Level Contributor
53 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good family vacation??

This will be my 12th year in South Nags Head. When my girls were teenagers they didnt want to go with us because there "is nothing to do" that far down. Now that they are older they want to go to Nags Head with us because it is a quiet beach. South Nags Head has nothing but homes but shopping is close and so is the marina. I hope you have a wonderful time. Its almost time for me to start counting the days!