We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milepost 17 Beach Conditions (Nags Head)

Which Nags Head hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
maryland
3 posts
Save Topic
Milepost 17 Beach Conditions (Nags Head)

Does anyone know the CURRENT beach conditions at the Yachtsman Condo's at milepost 17 in Nags Head? We've just been informed their swimming pool won't be open at all this summer and I'm thinking it might be related to severe beach erosion and washing away of the beach from the 2009 nor easters. I sure would appreciate any information. We're stuck with reservations there for a week in August.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milepost 17 Beach Conditions (Nags Head)

The beach has been hard hit in that area and the Dec storm did some sand removal around the pool and the association has decided to not replace it. I am not sure what Kitty Dunes policy is with rentals in there but our company lowered the price to all that had a unit rented there when we found out the pool was not coming back. You should at least get a discount.

maryland
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Milepost 17 Beach Conditions (Nags Head)

Yes, they've offered us a 20% discount from the rental price since the pool won't be replaced; and this is fine. We can live without the pool. I'm just hoping the walkway to the beach is there and we've got a beach to actually walk to!

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milepost 17 Beach Conditions (Nags Head)

Yes, you can easily reach the beach, don't worry about that at all.

Virginia
Level Contributor
318 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Milepost 17 Beach Conditions (Nags Head)

I had dinner at Basnight's on the causeway tonight and decided to stop by the Yachtsman Condos after dinner to see how much storm damage they have had. We stayed there last spring, so I can give you a very accurate picture of what the conditions are now compared to this time last May.

The pool, dunes, and former beach walkway (that was just rebuilt last year) were all destroyed. New sand has been brought in to build up the bank , and some sod has been laid over what was previously the driveway up beside the building (part of the walkway to the beach). A new board walkway and stairs have been built to access the beach. There is a small deck with deck chairs where part of the pool used to be. So there is no problem accessing the beach. HOWEVER....there is very little beach there, and at high tide there is NONE, as we could tell by the water and seaweed line at the foot of the bank. We were there around 8 pm.

Looking north toward the big motel, the situation is the same--lots of beach erosion. The end of the motel is sandbagged. I think you might have to go to one of the public beach access areas in NH to actually go to the beach. We are at MP10 and the beach is fine in this area.

5. Re: Milepost 17 Beach Conditions (Nags Head)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 21, 2010