We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surf Board rentals

Frederick, MD
Level Contributor
150 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Surf Board rentals

I'm going to the Outer Banks next summer. I want to try surfing as I never have done it before (I have lots of experience skateboarding and boogie boarding...even learned how to kneel-ride a boogie board). I'm assuming I can rent a board from a local surf shop? How much will a day of surfing cost me? Should I start with a long board or try the shorter ones? Would it be wise to take lessons or is that a waste of my money since I'm already a decent skateboarder/boogie boarder (already have the basic coordination from similar sports)?

Manassas
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Surf Board rentals

Try doing a search on the website of townofmanteo.com. There are many links to all the activites, including surfboarding, in the Outer Banks.

NC mountains
Level Contributor
755 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surf Board rentals

My brother rented a board last summer when we vacationed in Carolina Beach. He is a pretty good skateboarder and found it hard to catch on. They suggested he start out with a long board. Unfortunately, he rented it the last day of our trip, otherwise he said he would've taken the lessons. It was $20/day for the rental.