We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Outer Banks from Washington/Baltimore area

Which Nags Head hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tennessee
5 posts
Save Topic
Getting to Outer Banks from Washington/Baltimore area

We will be visiting family in Baltimore soon and plan to go to the Outer Banks of NC afterwards. What is the best and fastest way to get there? All the online maps tell a different story. Thanks for any help!!

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Outer Banks from Washington/Baltimore area

Depends on the day and time of the week. Personally, although it is a longer miles wise I would go back up through Delaware and down the Eastern Shore through the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel. MUCH less traffic and a less stressful ride.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Outer Banks from Washington/Baltimore area

I second going on 50 and then pick up 13 south in Salisbury MD. Continue to Norfolk and then on down.

It is about 30 minutes longer but there is no traffic. The beltway and the Hampton Roads bridge tunnel can be a nightmare on any given day and can hold you up for hours!

Tennessee
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Outer Banks from Washington/Baltimore area

Our plan is to drive early Memorial Day (like leave by 8am) from Baltimore. What is the road you are suggesting like? Limited access highway, 4 lanes, 6 lanes...? Any description will help me sell it to my husband. Thanks!!

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Outer Banks from Washington/Baltimore area

Plenty of access. Some 2 lane, some four, some even six lane. HOWEVER, you will toatlly miss DC and Hampton Roads traffic and believe me (and Lynn) that is traffic best missed at all costs!

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Outer Banks from Washington/Baltimore area

Memorial Day-ABSOLUTELY consider the Eastern Shore route!

Tennessee
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Outer Banks from Washington/Baltimore area

Thanks to you all...you have probably saved my sanity!!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Outer Banks from Washington/Baltimore area

OBXbum and Lynne have given you the best route to take. I do not miss that Baltimore/DC traffic at all....did that for 18 years, and then moved to the OBX!

New Bern, North...
Level Contributor
257 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Outer Banks from Washington/Baltimore area

I have relatives in Baltimore and the way they go to OBX is to take 301 from Baltimore all the way to VA, then in a little area known as Port Royal, VA, take 17 S all the way to Yorktown/Newport News area, then hit 64, to 664 following the signs to OBX.

The worse part of the trip is all the stoplights in Waldorf, but once you get through that area it is smooth sailing until you get to the Hampton Roads area.

Avoids DC area, and I 95.

There is another way were you can take route 3 going through the Northern Neck (Virginia), but there are a few more turns that way.

Have a good trip.

9. Re: Getting to Outer Banks from Washington/Baltimore area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, September 28, 2009