We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a visit to the Outer Banks, NC

Which Nags Head hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
SOUTH THOMASTON
5 posts
Save Topic
Planning a visit to the Outer Banks, NC

Hi,

I'm planning to visit the Outer Banks with a friend for the first time and am looking for a nice reasonably-priced house or condo to rent near or on the beach. Also, is there an area better than another anyone can recommend? We're not interested in a lot of tourist activities. We're more interested in kayaking, doing some swimming, walking on the beach, maybe snorkelling - restful type activities. My adult children from Raleigh are going to meet us there so need a place with a few bedrooms.

Thanks!

Woodbridge, Virginia
Level Contributor
114 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a visit to the Outer Banks, NC

You'll love Ocracoke Island. It was voted as having the #2 beach in America this year.

The majority of the island is owned by the US Park Service, the beaches are pristine and usually never crowded.

There are no major hotels, fast food places, or chain establishments.

There are plenty of inns and houses to rent.

Ocracoke is the most relaxing, stress-free place I've ever visited.

Level Contributor
14 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a visit to the Outer Banks, NC

I visited the Outer Banks In August 2004. We stayed at a small inn (the First Colony Inn) in Nags Head. So as far as renting a condo or house, it sounds like I can't help you much. But as far as geography-- I would say that Nags Head is sort of in the center of the Banks. To the north of Nags Head seemed to be a lot of rental houses and properties on the beach, which limits public access somewhat. If you want to get away from the "developed" and tourist areas, I would head south of Nags Head towards Hattaras. There are miles of public beaches south of Nags Head, along with a lighthouse or two. :-) As far as snorkeling and kayaking, that sounds like something you would do on the "sound" side, meaning the side that is nestled in between the mainland and the Banks.

Ringwood
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a visit to the Outer Banks, NC

contact www.obccola.com for the best cottages View them on line.

We wouldn't rent from anyone else...He the best.

We've been using him for many years..

Ask for Cola

Ringwood
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a visit to the Outer Banks, NC

sessily...there was a typo error in the message from OBXFAN..

Its www.obxcola.com...sorry