We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mount Airy Weekend

Which Mount Airy hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta
12 posts
Save Topic
Mount Airy Weekend

I'm considering a trip to the area soon. Our party will consist of three adults and a one year-old child. Sobotto Manor is booked and I'm not sure it was the best place to take a baby anyway (he is just beginning to walk).

Any suggestions on nice but child-friendly accomodations, dining and sight-seeing would be appreciated!

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Mount Airy Weekend

I don't think Sobotta is child-friendly - I'd look for a cabin on VRBO. You can search for Mt. Airy, Pilot Mountain, Dobson areas in NC or Cana and Fancy Gap, VA - they are close. There are some motels in the area that are decent but I wouldn't take a baby to a B & B.

Dining? What type are you after? You have good old greasy spoons, the Snappy Lunch with it's famous pork chop sandwich, several chains.... more upscale eateries can be found at nearby wineries.

Most of the sightseeing in Mount Airy is related to Andy Griffith - the downtown shops feature mountain crafts and show related items. The Andy Griffith Playhouse has performances - check the calendar at www.surryarts.org.

There's a free bluegrass show on Saturday mornings at the theater.

If you ar4e in the area on Friday night ride a few miles up the road to Galax and go the live radio show at the Rex Theater - bluegrass, folk, and mountain music. There's a good lodging option there too - it is called " A Place By The Parkway" - it is a duplex cabin right on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Galax - across from the Blue Ridge Music Center. It would be perfect to rent both sides for your party. Their website - http://www.aplacebytheparkway.com

Also check out www. visitmayberry.com.

Best wishes.

Sweetser, Indiana
Level Contributor
141 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mount Airy Weekend

The Hampton Inn in Mt. Airy is great. We stayed there last year in the new wing and it was beautiful. I think it is the nicest Hampton I have ever stayed in. The Hampton also has Andy's home that you can rent

The downtown area is really intersting and worth a visit. They have old squad car tours you can take. IMHO I would not eat at Snappy Lunch, all the locals rave about it, but we were not impressed. The largest granite quarry is also located there is and is worth a drive there and watch them work. Wally's service station is off of the main drag and is also fun to see. They have the sheriffs office and the Darling's family cabin there also.

Take the Blueridge Parkway for great scenic views.

3. Re: Mount Airy Weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:22 am, January 20, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Mount Airy