We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maggie Valley/Western NC First Time in August 2015

wauwatosa, wi
Level Contributor
4 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Maggie Valley/Western NC First Time in August 2015

We will be traveling for the first time, to the Maggie Valley area during the first part of August, 2015 and have a few questions.

We have not yet booked a cabin, but have noticed that a few do not have air conditioning, stating the breezes will keep you cool enough. We hesitate to believe this, or that the humidity would be low enough to be comfortable. Comments appreciated.

What about the mosquitoes?! We would like to have a stream/creek/waterfall/river on part of the property we rent, but will we be asking for trouble in August, getting eaten alive near any water? Comments please.

We would like to do day trips to Asheville, Brevard, Hendersonville, Biltmore Estates, and do the Blue Ridge Parkway. Suggestions on must see sites in the area are appreciated.

It's entirely possible that we will fall in love with this area and may even think about leaving the awful Wisconsin winters and permanently move to western NC in 2-3 years! So we want to make the most of this trip. Thanks for any comments/suggestions!

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
18,763 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maggie Valley/Western NC First Time in August 2015

I have a place in the NE GA mountains and it's very true about the cool evenings with low/no humidity. Folks don't believe it, but it's true. That's why so many people choose N GA/ western NC/ eastern TN for relocation, especially retirement. Natural beauty, nice people and great weather.

Waynesville,NC
Level Contributor
368 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maggie Valley/Western NC First Time in August 2015

Maggie Valley and the surrounding area will definitely keep you busy! Be sure to ride over to Cataloochee Valley to see the elk and go river rafting on the Nantahala or the nearby Pigeon River. Cataloochee Ranch offers guided horseback tours to view some incredibly spectacular mountain vistas. If you like motorcycles Wheels Thru Time museum is a must. Waynesville has a cute small town Main Street. And don't forget the Great Smoky Mtn Railroad! There are lots of options for cabin rentals here, unless you've found one you absolutely love without it, get one with air. It's not aways necessary, but better safe than sorry! As for mosquitoes- they're here, but not bad if you're prepared for them.

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,804 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maggie Valley/Western NC First Time in August 2015

The evenings in Maggie Valley are nice, and the humidity is normally pretty low. The closest neighbors to our place in Maggie Valley use window fans to cool their house. The need for an A/C unit will also depend on the elevations. We prefer using the A/C, but we're at a lower elevation than other areas. It's tolerable, even in August, but I like to be really cool.

As far as sites to see, szphlps has some super ideas. When the kids were little, we liked to ride over to the Island Park in Cherokee and feed the ducks & picnic. In Cherokee, catch the outdoor drama, "Unto These Hills". Great show!

Enjoy your trip!

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,680 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maggie Valley/Western NC First Time in August 2015

The need for A/C is dependent on how cold you like it in your house. The outside temperature is greatly dependent on the elevation in the mountains. There are areas where It rarely gets out of the 70s even in the heat of the day. North Carolina, while in the South, has the highest elevation mountains east of the Mississippi.

Here's the average monthly temps in Maggie Valley. You would see those highs for an hour or two in the heat of the day (2pm-3pm) and then it will drop back down at night.

usclimatedata.com/climate/…usnc0739

http://www.ncliving.com/summer-temp-info.html

We have a family home in Boone and while my mother-in-law got central heat and air put in in the past few years we were fine before that w/o air conditioning. I don't like to run it at all. She only got the A/C because it came with the furnace. I much prefer to have the mountain air blowing through the windows and screen door and listening to the creek outside.

wauwatosa, wi
Level Contributor
4 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maggie Valley/Western NC First Time in August 2015

Thanks for the replies everyone! BradMac: Can you fill me in on the elevations you are comparing? The word "elevation" has never come out of my mouth here in Wisconsin! I think we are best to rent a place which does have air, as all of us have seasonal allergies, and even though I do love the breeze blowing, it brings in the pollen!

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
18,763 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maggie Valley/Western NC First Time in August 2015

I don't know of what would be blooming in August to cause allergy problems.

The air is clean and sweet in the mountains.

Edited: 10:45 am, March 12, 2015
Waynesville,NC
Level Contributor
368 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maggie Valley/Western NC First Time in August 2015

I agree with BradMac. I live on the north side of a mountain at 2500 ft and I only miss AC 2-3 weeks out of the year. Those weeks fall at the end of July and beginning of Aug. Maggie Valley elevations can go up to 5,000 ft above sea level. The temps are typically much cooler up that high, but if your cabin faces the sun during the afternoon it will get quite warm inside.

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,804 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maggie Valley/Western NC First Time in August 2015

Agreed! Even though we visit very often, I'm always amazed at the temperature differences at the different elevations.

Coming from southeast GA in the summer, it's hot and humid everywhere around here! LOL

Edited: 9:31 am, March 13, 2015
Canton, North...
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maggie Valley/Western NC First Time in August 2015

Hi, I would suggest to use Google earth to locate your cabin selection(s). In the lower right corner you will see the elevation markings. They will change depending on your zoom elevation. The cursor moved to differing locations will show you the gain or fall. Mt Mitchell State Park has the EASTS highest elevation. It is 6684' above sea level. Most cabins will be in the approximate 2200' and up range. Many around 3000'+. The climate in August will change as autumn approaches. Warmer the beginning of the month, etc. Plan for and Expect 3 seasons, of temperatures on any given day depending on your day trips and travels. I assume you will not be hunkered in your cabin much during the day. There are miles of beauty to take in. Evenings will be comfortable and you will most likely be outdoors star gazing, or sitting in a Rocker on the porch. Bugs are not that big of an issue. AC is generally not needed... nice to have, same as Cable TV while in the Mountains. Happy Travels to you.

West Chicago...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maggie Valley/Western NC First Time in August 2015

Check out smokey mountain retreat in Maggie Valley for cabin rentals

Get answers to your questions about Maggie Valley