We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How good is the road to the Cataloochee Valley elk sanctuary

Georgia
Level Contributor
54 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
How good is the road to the Cataloochee Valley elk sanctuary

We have made the trip several times in the past, but my husband is always nervous about it because the road is so narrow and on the side of a mountain. Also you also seem to meet campers or horse trailers that nearly run you off the road. Have they improved the road at all in the last few years?

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How good is the road to the Cataloochee Valley elk sanctuary

Recently I did not notice any improvements and, IMHO, that's is a great thing because it limits a number of people venturing there.

Waynesville, North...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How good is the road to the Cataloochee Valley elk sanctuary

I live pretty close to the road you're talking about. I drove on it just last week. It's exactly the same narrow / curvy road until you reach the pavement. In fact, one of the park rangers was going a bit to quick around the curves and almost ran into us.

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,727 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How good is the road to the Cataloochee Valley elk sanctuary

Yeah, Cove Creek Rd. is still narrow and curvy as you approach the park. I've never been frightened to drive it, though. Just take your time, stay on your side of the road, and watch for cars coming in the opposite direction.

You'll be fine!

4. Re: How good is the road to the Cataloochee Valley elk sanctuary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, September 23, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Maggie Valley