We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best pulled pork bbq in Maggie Valley????

Columbus OH
Level Contributor
38 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Best pulled pork bbq in Maggie Valley????

We are coming to Maggie Valley next week and will have only one chance to sample the best you have to offer in pulled pork. Where will I find this?

Open to restaurants, shacks by the road, or even a guy with a barrel behind his house!

Pork should be compatible with cold Yeungling!

Thanks all.

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best pulled pork bbq in Maggie Valley????

Well, I haven't tried the BBQ Shak (I gotta try that next trip), but Butts on the Creek has pretty good pork. You should also consider Fat Buddies over in Waynesville. It's in Waynesville Plaza off of Russ Ave.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best pulled pork bbq in Maggie Valley????

The mountains aren't known for their BBQ - I hope you find some good places. BBQ heaven is Lexington ( the state's BBQ capital) and eastward.

FYI - you will see the term "pulled" in establishments that cater to people who are not from around here... but the real terms are minced, chopped, and sliced.

Best wishes.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
1,222 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best pulled pork bbq in Maggie Valley????

fat buddies is fine stuff. and gets my vote.

Columbus OH
Level Contributor
38 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best pulled pork bbq in Maggie Valley????

Thanks all, looks like we may have to have a 2nd chance also! bud41 I forgot that Carolina bbq differs from that of points west. I'll have to inquire as to how they prep their pork; pull it, mince it, chop it, slice or dice it!

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best pulled pork bbq in Maggie Valley????

In Maggie go with Bradmac's recommendations. But if you want really good pulled pork, drive over to Bryson City to the BBQ wagon. My next favorite is Fat Buddies...have a great trip.

Columbus OH
Level Contributor
38 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best pulled pork bbq in Maggie Valley????

Well we ended up doing take from Fat Buddies in Waynesville 'cause it was on our route for the day. Very good 'pulled' pork samwich! Nice smoke flavor to the pork and a good red sauce. A helping of slaw on top set it off nicely. Thanks for all the suggestions, next time we're in the area I'll plan a 'pork tour' to sample others.

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best pulled pork bbq in Maggie Valley????

Glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for the report on Fat Buddies! If have the time, write a review of Fat Buddies.

tripadvisor.com/UserReview-e__2F__ShowForum_…

Thanks!

8. Re: Best pulled pork bbq in Maggie Valley????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 02, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Maggie Valley