We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some questions on Lake Lure

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
749 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Some questions on Lake Lure

I am heading to Asheville on Thursday, from Raleigh, with two 5 year olds and my 86 year old Dad. I am looking for something to do, on the way, that will be enjoyable for all of us. Preferably, it would be somewhere we could stop for a couple hours, get lunch, breath some mountain air and lets the kids run a bit. Dad is not a big walker, so I think Chimney Rock is out, so I was thinking of Lake Lure. The boat trip would be great for everyone. Do you think I need to book that in advance? Looks like it runs every hour.

We would love to eat looking out over the water. Is the Veranda at the Inn the best place to do this? Is there somewhere else possibly more casual and good?

Finally, I see that there is a "water park" at the beach. By the description, it seems it is not very big, but would be fun for the kids for any hour or so, while my Dad relaxes somewhere. How big is this water park? Is it more like a splash ground at a pool, which would be great. Or is it a true water park, with big slides,etc. A little splash ground and beach time would be great, but we don't have all afternoon to do the water park thing.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some questions on Lake Lure

The water park is not your idea of a water park probably. Actually a sandy beach area on Lake Lure with a couple of small water slides with life guards, fenced in, and would probably take the edge off the kids. Dad could sit and watch. On a Thursday you will probably have it mostly to yourself.

The pontoon boat rides around the lake are nice. The lake can be covered by tour in about an hour or so. On Thursday I don't think you would need any advance reservation.

Larkins restaurant is on the water. Down stairs you can eat outside, downstairs inside is causual dining, upstairs is a little more regular dining area.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Some questions on Lake Lure

Lake Lure is ICE COLD. Be prepared.

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
749 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some questions on Lake Lure

Thanks, that is what it looked like on the website, but I didn't want to do the big detour off 40 if it was a true "water park". That sounds perfect. Is Larkin's near there? I assume you just take that big right off the highway and it takes you back along the lake to most everything, but I have never taken that right.

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
172 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some questions on Lake Lure

Just a reply about Chimney Rock. If you get a parking spot close to the base, there isn't really much walking. You take an elevator to almost the top, and there is a really nice outdoor cafe seating area your dad could enjoy an ice cream cone while watching the rest of you climb up the stairs to the top of the chimney. Its a really nice place to visit, we really enjoyed it! We didn't do all the trails, just the main part of the mountain. The elevator stops at the gift store - and there are a few tables and a bar w/ stools running along the inside of the store, that also would have a great view looking down the mountains.

As for Lake Lure - stop in at the visitors center to get some more ideas, there are three lovely ladies there that really helped us plan our day in the area!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some questions on Lake Lure

If you want a little scenary on your ride then get off at Exit 81 on Interstate 40 and turn left. This rode is a two lane to Highway 74 where you will turn right 10 miles on 74 you will come to Lake Lure.

Some people just take Highway 64 off Interstate 40 and go into Rutherfordton and pick up Highway 74 West to Lake Lure.

Larkins is on the lake but about 2 or 3 miles before you get to the beach area. Since I was up there last weekend I can assure you the water is not that cold as someone else suggested. There is a gift shop that also serves as the entrance to the beach area. I think it's a couple of dollars to get in.

You can go back the same way you came in to get to Asheville but that would actually being going out of your way. Continue on Highway 74 through Chimney Rock and follow the signs to Asheville.It's a very scenic mountain way to get to Asheville and should take about a hour to and hour and a half.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Some questions on Lake Lure

Weekends at Lake Lure, big motorcycle destination. We use to ride up there on Sundays, you can drink earlier in NC then you can in SC, so many motorcyclist ride up early on Sunday to get a head start. Beautiful area, 2 lane roads, so sometimes traffic can be problem. Larkins is on the water, if its too hot outside to eat, you can eat inside. Your children would be swimming in a roped off area in the lake, I am not sure why they call it a "water park".

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
749 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some questions on Lake Lure

Thanks everyone for your info, esp for the driving options off 40. I was wondering what the difference is. I have driven out this way FROM Asheville many times, to hike the Nature Cons. property and into the Bat Cave and certainly been to Chimney Rock, but never done it coming from the other way.

It is good to know that the water isn't TOOO cold....although I was hoping that it was KINDA cold, so the kids wouldn't get too far in so I could be lazy and not have to get in with them and so Granddad wouldn't go into total worry mode! They are not strong swimmers yet.

This sounds like a perfect stop off tomorrow!

Thanks!

Beth

8. Re: Some questions on Lake Lure

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:26 am, September 02, 2009