We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kitty hawk

Carneys Point, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
kitty hawk

ok here's my question....I'm looking for a small quaint beachy town, with access to the beach. So, is Kitty Hawk like that?

I know Duck is sorta like that, but we're wondering about any of the other towns in OBX.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Toronto
Level Contributor
392 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kitty hawk

I wouldn't describe Kitty Hawk as quaint.

Have visited OBX for over 30 years and thinks it's a great place for family vacations. But the closest it comes to a "small quaint beachy town" is probably Duck (also Oracoke Island). OBX has lots of great beaches just not a lot of "town", which for us is the attraction.

Our family prefers to stay at Corolla, which is north of Duck. We like it because its less developed (though that has changed some in past 10 years), not a lot of stores or restaurants just a great beach.

Carneys Point, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kitty hawk

thanks so much for your response, this helps

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kitty hawk

Duck is a little unlike the other towns in that if you rent a place close to the center you can walk to the business area. If that is what you call quaint and a town then it is unlike anything else. Manteo is what I call a quaint little town, but there are no weekly rental places downtown Manteo. Kitty Hawk is where I live so I know it well. It, like most towns here, is 5 miles long. Duck, Southern Shores, KDH and Nags Head are also each 5 miles long, so Duck is much like all the other towns except it's business area is concentrated in the center and void of any on the ends. The other towns, except Southern Shores, have their commercial dispersed along the bypass and a lesser amount on the beach road which requires you to drive to where you want to go. But the drive is much easier since it does not involve the Duck "bottle neck" which is where the commercial area is and there is a 5 lane road and a 2 lane road to use.

They all have beach and in Duck you can easily be 15-25 homes away from it where as in the other town if you are between the highways you are 1 to 10 away at the most.

Edited: 8:57 am, February 19, 2013
Carneys Point, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: kitty hawk

I really like Manteo, but like you said no rental houses there, and the other girls don't want an inn or resort.

Whats your opinion on further south like Waves, Salvo, etc? Any of them small towns?

I'm looking for a small beachy town, without your big supermarkets, dept stores, kind of thing.

nc
Level Contributor
484 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: kitty hawk

All of our towns are small, but most of them do have supermarkets and such! You can choose your vacation experience though by staying close to one of our old school markets - Winks in Kitty Hawk, Stop N Shop in Kill Devil Hills or Cahoon's Market in Nags Head.

Personally I think you would love the area of "downtown Kitty Hawk" at the corner of the beach road and Eckner Street. You can have breakfast at Art's Place, lunch and supplies at Wink's and dinner or drinks on the patio at Ocean Boulevard. There are a number of older cottages in that area, many of which are rented through Joe Lamb, so you might check them out.

If you want to go really quaint, Ocracoke is the place to do it. The only drawback is that no homes are on the beach - you have to drive or ride a bike to the accesses. Everything is centered around Silver Lake harbor, and you can get anywhere by bike in a few minutes.

Cameron, North...
Level Contributor
19 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: kitty hawk

Nags head is nice you can rent a house on the beach and just a street over from the food and shopping. The other areas are nice to, so it really depends on the house and how much room you need. Hope you have a nice trip.

7. Re: kitty hawk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 pm, April 29, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Kitty Hawk