We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st trip to OBX - any suggestions for stay?

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
1st trip to OBX - any suggestions for stay?

This is our first trip to OBX. We are a thirtysomething couple traveling without children. We want a quieter place to stay on the ocean but walking distance to the action - restaurants and activities. Any suggestions?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st trip to OBX - any suggestions for stay?

It will be difficult to find quiet oceanfront, and a lot of placs to walk to eat/drink. The 2 roads are the beach road, which has places to eat/drink and the bypass which is a main road, and NOT for walking. There are plenty of places to go, but walking is just not really practical as the restaurants/bars on the beach road are not all in one area. Also, the beach road does not have a sidealk in all areas, and so you will be walking directly on the road in some places. There is a bike path that you can walk on, but a lot of the best plces to go out are on the by pass, or spread out along beach road.

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,625 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st trip to OBX - any suggestions for stay?

Ocracoke.....sounds like what you may be looking for.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
360 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st trip to OBX - any suggestions for stay?

When are you going, for how long, do you want a hotel or rental unit like a townhouse?

There are different areas and many different places to stay.

Check out nagsheadrealty.com, Breakers 3. It is in Kill Devil Hills, which is in the middle of everything. If you have bikes, you can ride to some places. The traffic is pretty constant during the season.

Let me know of other questions.

Rob

Richmond
Level Contributor
8 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st trip to OBX - any suggestions for stay?

We are in our 40's no kids and always stay Outer Banks Beach Club II in Kill devil Hills. You can walk to several restaurants in the area, but driving gives you many more options. Great location, highly recommend it. Have been going for the past 4 years, leaving for KDH tomorrow the 13th.

Brownsburg, Indiana
Level Contributor
79 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st trip to OBX - any suggestions for stay?

the real outer banks is south.

everything north is similar to Myrtle Beach. Crowded.

I recommend staying south of avon. on hatteras island there are more choices for home rentals.

Ocracoke has charm,,,one of my all time favorites.

I also suggest renting or driving a 4WD vehicle. This will give you access to remote beaches of the outer banks. Take a tow rope,shovel and and air down your tires.watch the tide. be aware of fisherman and fellow beach goers.I have never had a problem.

We like to catch one of the early ferry's over to ocracoke. Take an access road over to the beach and just enjoy the day. Maybe hit Howards Pub for lunch.

Dont worry about finding restaurant or things to do, there will be plenty of both.

6. Re: 1st trip to OBX - any suggestions for stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, September 30, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Kill Devil Hills