We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

highlands area vs. blowing rock

stanford
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
highlands area vs. blowing rock

I have been to Blowing Rock 3 times for leaf peeping and love the area. We are planning a trip again this year but are considering highway 64 including Highlands, Franklin and Murphy which we have never been to. I would appreciate input from those familiar with both, where should I spend y dollars. Scenery is most important, looking for leaf color, quaint towns, shopping and good eats. Thank you

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: highlands area vs. blowing rock

Highlands has great shopping and good eats. Spend a night or two at Old Edwards Inn and Spa. It's a great town.

Old Edwards Inn and Spa @ 445 Main Street, Highlands, NC 866 - 526 - 8008.

http://www.oldedwardsinn.com/

Atlanta
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: highlands area vs. blowing rock

We love the Highlands/Franklin area. I think the area has better scenery than the Blowing Rock/Boone area. Leaf color will run a week to 10 days later in the Highlands area than Blowing rock.

Great towns for shopping in the area are Highlands, Waynesville and Dillsboro. All have great downtown areas. Brevard is also a great small town 90 minutes east of Highlands. The drive on 64 in fall is awesome.

The drive from Franklin to Murphy is very nice. I could tell you many drives in the area that are just beautiful. Take Wayah Road from Franklin to Beechertown. It has mountain vistas, lake views and the beautiful Nantahala River with waterfalls and rapids.

Another option is going south into the north Georgia mts. to see the fall colors if they are past due in NC. Clayton Ga. is a nice town in the mts.

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: highlands area vs. blowing rock

Agree with waldens post above. I also want to mention the town of Cashiers, which is small but it has some neat shops and a few pretty good restaurants. Worth a stop for sure.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,383 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: highlands area vs. blowing rock

The Highlands area is particularly noted for its waterfalls. I don't think US #64 is quite as easy to navigate as the BRP but the towns, all the way back to Hendersonville are quite nice. I would also suggest a stop at the Greystone Inn on Lake Toxaway between Brevard and Cashiers, either for a meal or an overnight.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
8,219 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: highlands area vs. blowing rock

And that's pronounced "CASH-urs" not "cash-EARS" like the check-out person at the grocery store.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: highlands area vs. blowing rock

Greystone Inn is a great place to stay near Cashiers. It's on Lake Toxaway.

http://www.greystoneinn.com/

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
24 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: highlands area vs. blowing rock

Have been going to Highlands for 10 plus years and went to Blowing Rock once last year. Hands down spoil yourself in Highlands over BR as there is much more to do. Old Edwards is first class and plenty other locations if you can't afford highest end.

CashEARS or Cashiers is wonderful area with reservoir just west for great boat day. Rentals there too.

Hiking and waterfalls all over Highlands with better food than BR in my opinion. Whether its romance or time with friends highlands Rocks the rock.

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: highlands area vs. blowing rock

^ Don't mean to nitpick your post BillyTeddy, and keeping in mind these are opinions and you're certainly entitled to yours, but to say HIghlands has "much more to do" than Blowing Rock is misleading IMO. I like Highlands very much, but the Blowing Rock area offers as much or more to do, especially if you include the surrounding attractions like Grandfather Mountain, Blue Ridge Parkway and its stops, Boone, the ski areas, etc.

I don't mean to disparage Highlands at all here--just want to be sure people understand that there is indeed plenty to see and do around Blowing Rock as well. And that's a great tip about the lake (I assume you're talking about Lake Glenville?). Very beautiful!

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
8,219 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: highlands area vs. blowing rock

It really is pronounced CASH-urs, too. You can look it up.

I think you'll have a great time either place. Enjoy your vacation!

NYC
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: highlands area vs. blowing rock

I'm going for New Years with my family (all grown ups, no kids) and also deciding between Highlands and BR. Any recos for this time of the year?