We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road to Highlands Steep?

Florida
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Road to Highlands Steep?

We were planning on visiting Highlands, and were wondering whether the road is steep compared to someplace like Bryson City, North Carolina? Thanks for any help! We are a little terrified of insanely steep roads, Bryson City is our limit;p

12 replies to this topic
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,336 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Road to Highlands Steep?

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I agree that you get used to driving the roads. Last year we were pretty nervous about it so we avoided the curviest for a few days. This year I surprised myself by routing us ON that road on our way from Lexington to the Atlanta area. We found that it wasn't that much longer to take that vs other routes and it is so pretty. This year though we had a bit of a scare. As we were on one of the steepest curves, sure enough, some idiot was over the center line, just as we made the turn! Luckily my husband handled it well. He's had specialized driving training. We were glad it was him driving and not someone less experienced. That was probably the closest call in our many long road trips.

BTW, I was able to view your avatar better to read the cartoon, very funny.

tx
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Road to Highlands Steep?

Yes they are. But go slower, and make sure to stay on your side of the road, and look ahead at what is coming.

Do this, and you'll be just fine. I just drove it a couple of times last week. Recently bought myy future retirement home there, and I can't wait to be there permanently.

Its scary at first, but you'll get used to it.

And it is oh so worth it. The views are spectacular, its gorgeous country.

Reply to: Road to Highlands Steep?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted