We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Considering relocating to Hickory

Which Hickory hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hickory, North...
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Topic
Considering relocating to Hickory

How is the job market these days?

I will be looking for a mid level manufacturing managers position.

What sector is most of the jobs available?

How feasible is it to consider the Charlotte area for work?

How would the commute be to Charlotte?

Thanks for the info

Len

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Considering relocating to Hickory

Manufacturing has suffered in this area due to NAFTA. Healthy industries are health care, service, and retail. Commute from Hickory to and from Charlotte would be long and arduous. Minimum hour and a half if traffic is not bad.

NC mountains
Level Contributor
755 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Considering relocating to Hickory

I agree with Bud about the commute. Definitely not worth it to live in Hky and work in Charlotte.

Jobs are becoming more plentiful these days. The furniture industry seems to be doing well, with a lot of new positions opening up. May want to check with the major furniture outfits: Broyhill, Boyles, Taylor King, etc.

We also have a large booming indisutrial development in Maiden (about 10 minutes away) called Lincolnton Industrial Park. Seems like there is a new plant opening about every 6 months or so.

Give a call to the NCESC. They may give you a better idea, and let you browse through their listings so you can get a feel for the area.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Considering relocating to Hickory

FYI: I would not agree the furniture industry is doing well. Retail outlets are selling but the plants are not healthy- Broyhill has closed several plants and laid off hundreds the past couple of years. The industry is going overseas like our textiles have.

NC mountains
Level Contributor
755 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Considering relocating to Hickory

Actually, I have a few clients who are local leaders in furniture manufacturing. All of them are on the rise, hiring new workers and opening more shifts. I have a relative who is employed by one of the major furniture outfits who says they are always looking for more help. Things are looking up in Catawba County.

Again, I urge you to visit the area or call the local ESC to get a better idea and a true feel for what is right for you.

Good luck!

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Considering relocating to Hickory

Not interested in a debate but several furniture companies ( including Broyhill) have closed and re-opened in other countries. There are multiple stats...here's one example - http://www.duke.edu/web/mms190/furniture/

I'm not trying to be unduly negative. I think we owe it to people considering our area to be truthful about the economy. I am a high school teacher who works in a school that prepares people for specialized industries. Our state has taken a huge manufacturing hit since NAFTA. I am happy if a few firms are doing well and growing...it is not the norm right now. We have to re-tool as a state and head in other economic direction. Service industries are the healthy industries state-wide.

6. Re: Considering relocating to Hickory

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:10 pm, February 22, 2006
Level Contributor
3,053 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  What's this?
Save Reply
7. Re: Considering relocating to Hickory

We're sorry, but this topic has wandered into non-travel-related subject matter, so we've closed it to any further posts. To continue this discussion, TripAdvisor invites you to use our Off-Topic forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i9659-Off_topic…

Please note that Off-topic Chatter is a forum for discussions gone afield from the topic of travel. Although non-travel-related topics are allowed, posts in the Off-topic forum must otherwise meet TripAdvisor's Forum guidelines:

tripadvisor.com/help/what_are_the_guidelines…