We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Considering Moving to Hickory

Festus, MO
Level Contributor
7 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Considering Moving to Hickory

I am considering moving to Hickory and would like to know a few things. What is the job outlook like? Are there any bigger cities to commute to? What is the year round weather like? Is there a lot of crime? Thanks!

In front of a Video...
Level Contributor
218 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Considering Moving to Hickory

The Hickory area has a high unemployment rate, but mainly due to the closing/downsizing of many furniture companies and fiber optic cable companies, however, there are still jobs available in the area. Charlotte would be about an hour or longer commute if you got a job there (depending on traffic and which side of Charlotte you would be on).

Hickory is a very nice area - still a "small town" but has gone considerably in the last 14 years I have lived in the area. I moved from Boston to NC and just love it here. The winters can be mild or we could have ice storms or snow. The golf course we live on is open all year long (only closed for snow or ice or frozen greens!). We have had 60 to 70 degree days in the winter. This summer has been hot and humid with many days over 90 (just like the rest of the country) - however last summer, I don't think we had more than 5 days over 90 degrees.

We don't have alot of crime in comparison to larger cities. We feel very safe in this area.

Good luck in your decision to move. You may want to contact the Catawba County Chamber of Commerce. They can send you alot of information about the Hickory area.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts