We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cranmore Cottages

Which Hendersonville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Delaware, OH
2 posts
Save Topic
Cranmore Cottages

BUYER BEWARE!!!! OLD PROPERTY IS MOLDY, DAMP AND STINKS!!

My family (my wife and I plus our 4 children) made reservations for the Stoney Brook cottage in Hendersonville. We pulled up to the house and my wife and I looked at each other and exchanged worried glaces. Things went down hill fast from there. The outside was unclean, with cob webs, and dirty. The brush surrounding the house was very overgrown, and damp, believe me no "rustic charm" here, just unkempt. We opened the door and were hit with the smell of mold. The house was advertised as having air conditioning; all that meant was there were two small window air conditioning units in the entire house. There were dehumidifiers all over the house. The sheets were damp, the toilet paper was damp, my four year old would not sleep in one of the rooms running out of the room holding his nose saying, "it smells in here!!". I called the owner and told her this was absolutely unacceptable, she moved us to the Mountain Lake lodge for the remainder of our trip. We did have to stay one night in that cottage, we slept in our clothes and woke to tons of bugs around the living room lamp. The owner was good about moving us to the Mountain Lake cottage which was very nice. Even after describing how horrible the Stoney Brook cottage was she still wanted us to pay the difference between the two cottages, the Mountain Lake being $40 extra a night. I told her not a chance, so she did not comp the night we stayed in the first cottage which I think is really poor business practice. I WOULD NOT TOUCH any of their old properties but the new one was very nice.

Edited: 9:02 am, June 26, 2010
Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cranmore Cottages

I had the same experience in this cottage in the Summer of 2009. All the same problems. It is disgusting and my kids and wife were horrified. This cottage is moldy, damp, the appliances are super old, the furniture ALL looks like it came from a thrift store, the place is just horrible. I recommend that no one ruin their vacation like we did our by staying at Cranmore Cottages Stoney Brook Cottage. The owners should be reported to the Better Business Bureau for false advertising. This is bad for North Carolina tourism. What a terrible place!!!

Staunton, Virginia
Level Contributor
6 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cranmore Cottages

My husband, niece, and I stayed at the Gingerbread Cottage (Cranmoor Cottages) December 19-25, 2010. Our experience is ambivalent. The cottage was very worn, mostly wood rot problems, but basically clean. The hot water heater was in the laundry room and sat on a pan of nasty, rusting water (clearly it leaked, but the leak was contained). There was not enough hot water for three quick showers, so we had to stagger showers out over two hours. The HVAC was a heat pump and there were no instructions for the electric heat booster, so we froze the first night, until my husband realized what was happening. The washing machine drained water straight into the backyard, which is probably not legal, and would have been disgusting and completely unacceptable had it been warm weather. We ordered three days of firewood and had to call twice to have it delivered. When it was delivered, it was so wet that it would not burn. We called a local tree guy (Steve at Lumber Jacks) and got our own wood. He was terrific, by the way. The property manager finally did call us back and she didn't charge us for the wet wood and credited us $20 for the wood we left behind. The cable was down he entire time we were there. We didn't complain about this because we had complained so much. The thing that really irritated me was that after we booked we realized there was a $65 cleaning fee; ok, we should have read the fine print. But, once you get to the cottage there is a list of how you have to leave the premises which included: wash all dishes and put away, strip the beds and leave the linens in the bathub, start a load of towels in the washing machine. What the dickens? We are the guests, not the maid service. Having said all of this, I have to admit that sitting in front of the fire watching the snow fall outside was just the vacation we needed. On the whole, though, I would not recommend Cranmoor Cottages and do not think that it is worth the money.

3. Re: Cranmore Cottages

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, June 25, 2011