We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

restaurant suggestion

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
586 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
restaurant suggestion

In May, I will be going to a conference in Asheville but I will be visiting a friend in Columbus, NC for the weekend. I would love to surprise her with a recommendation for a restaurant where I could take her to thank her for her hospitality. Any suggestions?? thanks

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: restaurant suggestion

H'Ville has many good restaurants. For a good standard, the Peddler Steak House on King St has been around for a long time and is one of my favorites. For nice, country inn setting - you could try Seasons at Highland Lake Inn. There are several more places in town- a rather new place called "Flight" ( haven't been there but heard it's good). Probably the nicest is Poplar Lodge up on the mountain off Laurel Park Hwy. Good food and a killer view. Best wishes.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,993 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: restaurant suggestion

Hi Bud, every time we drive by the Poplar Lodge we promise to go there for a meal because views must be spectacular from the dining room. We had two nice dinners at the Flight. I think this is the same place on Main Street you listed but I don't think it is new. Unfortunately we had an awful meat at the Highland Lake and as a result I returned only once for lunch and it was much better but it is going to take a long time before we are brave enogugh to rreturn there for a dinner. I am glad to hear you had a pleasant exprience there.

hopetotravelphila, for an exceptional meal go about 8-10 miles south from Hendersonville on route 176 (or exit 59 on route I-26) to Saluda and eat at the Purple Onion. Saluda is between Hendersonville and Columbus. You may check their website for menu www.purpleonionsaluda.com I think this restaurant is closed on Sundays at least now and always on Wednesdays. If you arrive earlier in Saluda you may consider taking a drive and then a walk to Pearson's Falls (south on route 176), admission is charged but it is a gorgeous falls and in May this place is covered with wildflowers.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: restaurant suggestion

"Flight" has been open for less than a year hasn't it? Isn't it in the old First Union Bank bldg. on Main St? Glad to hear it was good - we have not gone yet. Wow, I'm surprised you had a bad meal t Highland Lake - but it can happen. We drive up from the Charlotte area some just to have Sunday Brunch there it is so good. What did you order that was not good? I'd like to know so I don't order it in case I'm ev er there for dinner! LOL. I hope that was just a fluke. Anyway - good info.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,993 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: restaurant suggestion

Bud, I too hope it was a fluke. My husband had pork chops and I had a chicken. Both dishes were so dry, almost not edible. It was some time ago. We are willing to try their Sunday brunch. Can you tell me what are your favorites? Thanks

Today I had a lunch at the Purple Onion. It was a wonderful and a very creative meal, again.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: restaurant suggestion

The brunch menu changes weekely - they always have a breafast area with quiche, cheese grits, pancakes, etc... they have an assortment of breads and a wonderful salad area with fresh greens and pasta salads. There's usually a good salmon dish and a chef-carved meat ( either roast beef or lamb). I'm not a big lamb eater but I tried some last week and it was great.

They have several other meats and some creative vegetable dishes. The dessert table is to die for. There are usually a couple of soups - both were good last week. They post their brunch menu on the website by the end of the week.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,993 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: restaurant suggestion

OK, you convinced me. We'll be traveling for a few weeks but we maybe see you there one Sunday in May. Thanks for all vivid details

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: restaurant suggestion

Yikes - now if it's not good - I'll get the blame!!!! LOL. That's OK - I can take it! Best wishes.

Flat Rock, NC
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: restaurant suggestion

To bud 41 - Thanks for being such a raving fan of Season's at Highland Lake Inn! We're so glad we've earned your confidence as a high-quality, great-experience restaurant! Such loyalty is humbling to us, and we do not take it for granted - we do know that it only takes one bad experience to spot our reputation - and we are committed to delivering exceptional dining to every guest on every visit!

To Places - We are thrilled that you are planning to visit Season's for Sunday Brunch in the near future - thanks to bud41's convincing descriptions of our menu offerings! We would love the opportunity to show you that we are an outstanding choice for dinner! We just rolled out our new Spring Dinner menu (posted on our website) to rave reviews. You'll love your dinner experience here - I guarantee it... Hope to see you soon!

To hopetotravelphila - We are located about exactly halfway between Asheville and Columbus, only two miles off I-26. We strive to make every dining experience special and memorable, and would be honored to be your restaurant choice!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: restaurant suggestion

Poplar Lodge has great views if you are on the 'patio/balcony'. Otherwise, there are not any views. I'd suggest going there for a drink, not a meal, as food is average. I've been 2 times, and not impressed w/ the food. Owners/management has changed hands several times. Perhaps current management will get it right.

Weaverville, North...
Level Contributor
790 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: restaurant suggestion

Consistently hear good reports about Flight from a variety of sources. There is also a new bakery/pizza place that is getting rave reviews but I hear if you don't get there by 5pm you'll wait an hour for a table.

Get answers to your questions about Hendersonville