We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traffic on Sun-Sun rental

Connecticut
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Topic
traffic on Sun-Sun rental

I've read here that if you're not in the area by 11am, traffic is a nightmare getting on the OBX islands. I'm hoping that is b/c more of the rentals are Sat-Sat, plus local day traffic on the w/ends.

Is the traffic going to be bad on a Sunday as well? Specifically, we would not be arriving until about 5pm-ish Sunday evening, coming from the NorthEast, final destination in the Waves area, late August.

Any help would be great!!!

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,974 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traffic on Sun-Sun rental

Much less traffic coming and going on Sundays. We always try to begin and end our vacations on Sundays, no matter where we go; easier getting there, easier getting in/out of the grocery store; at the end of the week, if at the beach Saturdays are great, you almost have the beach to yourselves as the Sat.-Sat. rentals have either already left or haven't yet arrived; and then Sundays leaving we miss the traffic and headaches that the Saturday people have!!!

Also, depending how late in August, NC public schools are all in session by August 25th; this too cuts down on traffic, crowds, etc.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
765 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: traffic on Sun-Sun rental

Never gone in August, but always go the first week of September so I'm sure it's pretty close to the same amount of people. Never really have problems with traffic on Sun-Sun. Usually get into town about 2ish and I only remember one time out of the last 8 years hitting traffic. Even the year we hit traffic, after getting off the brdige it wasn't bad at all.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: traffic on Sun-Sun rental

Traffic is bad in July and Aug on Saturdays from about 11am at the Wright Mem Bridge. Once into Kitty Hawk it picks up down the bypass while the slow cawl to Corolla is even worse than the bridge traffic. The traffic from Bodie Island south can be heavy, but it moves along. This is Saturday.

Sunday - much less traffic and mostly never any back up on the bridge. Come over anytime and it will be ok. The crawl to Corolla is still there. From Kitty Hawk south to Hatteras is not bad at all on Sunday unless there is an accident which will always mess things up.

Why more do not come on Sunday has always amazed me. They say they come on Saturday so when they get home they have 1 day to unwind, but its the awful Saturday traffic that makes you need a day off when you get home. Sunday traffic is a breeze compared to Saturday.

Edited: 8:47 am, March 22, 2011
Connecticut
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: traffic on Sun-Sun rental

Great Info!!!

Thanks all, we cannot wait to be down there. We did not go after a Sun-Sun intentionally, but sounds like we lucked out.

Outer Banks, NC
Level Contributor
479 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: traffic on Sun-Sun rental

You will have no trouble on Sunday, especially that time of year.

6. Re: traffic on Sun-Sun rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, October 26, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Hatteras Island