We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Hatteras Realty reliable?

New York City
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is Hatteras Realty reliable?

I am thinking of renting an house using Hatteras Realty, I am thinking of renting the "Southwind" in Rodanthe does anyone have any comments on Hattaras Realty or the "southwind house" in Rodanthe, and comments would be appreciated about the comany, house or the area..

Mechanicsville...
2 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Is Hatteras Realty reliable?

Hatteras Realty has been awesome! They are the only company we rent from on OBX. We always pay for early check-in and are always in the house before the 1:00 deadline. Any issues with the house (no phone, TV, cable in a house last year) was addressed immediately - within 30 minutes.

They are prompt, efficient and professional.

Frederick, Maryland
1 post
Save Reply
12. Re: Is Hatteras Realty reliable?

My family has been vacationing on the Outer Banks since 1992 exclusively with Hatteras Realty - my parents started our family's rental relationship with them and now my brothers and I rent from them for our vacations as well!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
91 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Is Hatteras Realty reliable?

Can anyone tell me if there are extra fees in addition to price + tax that Hatteras Realty shows on their website? 1st time to NC and just researching for a week in July. These tips are invaluable. Thanks so much for this thread.

NB/ HR's website gives me the advantage of showing Fri to Fri bookings. Great for me as we want to leave early Fri and head to Asheville and catch the Bele Chere Festival on the way back north.

Raleigh, North...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Is Hatteras Realty reliable?

I have been vacationing at least yearly on Hatteras Island for at least 30 years and have rented many, many houses during that time.

I very recently had a terrible experience with Hatteras Realty. I attempted to rent a beach house and despite 2 phone calls with questions my online attempt was unsuccessful. When I did not receive a confirmation notice I made an additional call to the office. I was curtly told that "we don't even have your name in our system" and "that house has been rented, I don't know what you did wrong". All three calls were handled by Carol, who was obviously way too busy (or something) to be anywhere near pleasant. There was no offer to call me back at a better time for her, and she made no attempt to place us in a different rental since our selected house had been rented. She was rude during all three phone calls. I have rented through another realty on the OBX. and will not be using Hatteras Realty in the future.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1 post
63 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Is Hatteras Realty reliable?

We have been renting from Hatteras Realty for over 5 years. They are very reliable! They are very helpful with finding the right home. We bring our dogs with us and HR has a large number of homes to choose from. Any maintenance issues have been resolved promptly and professionally.

Monterey, Tennessee
1 post
Save Reply
16. Re: Is Hatteras Realty reliable?

No. While we thoroughly enjoyed the town of Avon, the location and condition of our rental home "Southern Exposure", we were very dissapointed in the Avon Hatteras Realty. The home itself is beautiful, although beginning to run down due to lack of upkeep. We had a group of 16 driving for 12+ hrs, so chose to pay extra for the luxury of having our linen there, our beds made, and our pool heated. When we arrived, the keys we were given did not unlock any doors to the house. A housekeeper let us in (the house was not finished being cleaned) we discovered we only had 12 towels for 16 people. The office staff stated 12 was all we were suppose to get, but we could rent towels... $10 per towel for the week! We declined. Later, a guest accidently found 4 towels and sheet sets in a tote outside.... thats when we discovered 4 beds had not been made. When i contacted the realty company once again, i was told we only

paid for 6 beds to be made. Lie. My contract clearly states 10 beds. Then,

They tried to say the 4 towels were meant to be left there with the sheets

....although i previously was told i only got 12 purposely..... We had to call for 3 days for maintenance to come fix broken shower door... we had maintenance, housekeeping, and pool care personnel walk into house and gated back yard unannounced.. thats pretty unsettling when you have children in the home or pool when that happens. My biggest complaint would be that Hatteras Realty doesnt seem to care that we were unhappy with their service! Look forward to going back to Avon again. I can garauntee we will not use Hatteras Realty again!

NC
Level Contributor
3 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Is Hatteras Realty reliable?

Very displeased with Hatteras Realty - we've used all the realty companies there as we visit twice a year for the past 10 years. Had MAJOR maintenance entire week - never fixed!!! We rented Bucks Bucks in Frisco July 4th week and I have never been so disappointed - the home was vacant week prior to our arrival so any needed maintance should have been handled then, we called 2 days ahead and asked for early check in and we told it shouldn't be a problem, when we arrived @ there office for a 1pm checkin we were told we couldn't, so we left and made a few phone calls & Mary Ann, Mgr did get check-in @ 2:55 (5 min early) - when we arrived the 2nd flr HVAC wasn't working and when we went to use the only washing machine on Sunday it stated it was out of order - would be fixed Tues- I called the realty company, they said a part had to be ordered is why the delay BUT we were never told of this issue upon check-in NOR we were offered any alternatives. After speaking w/the realty company EVERY day no one EVER CAME TO FIX the Washer - we had dirty towels, clothes, etc. I had to call and request clean linens which were only provided ONCE (remember they only provide one bath towel per person). The realty company said the owner would not let their people fix the problem, they had their own repair person... WHAT!! Our contract is with Hatteras Realty, not the owner. There were lots of minor maintenance issues with this home - it's for sale so I assume the owner's cannot afford to fix and maintain. Would not rent this home and will only rent from Hatteras Realty as a last resort.

Guineafowl2
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Is Hatteras Realty reliable?

Do not use Hatteras Realty, or go by the reviews on their website. They do not include negative reviews, nor do they respond to negative feedback.

We stayed at Gray Gables. The house was dirty when we arrived, it had been given a 'surface clean' (and that is being kind). Kitchen cabinets had never been wiped on the outside, full of stains and drips. Hair in the bathrooms, air filter had not been changed in years. Bad mould in the main bathroom due to ancient shower door that leaked water all over the floors. Washer/dryer had problems - dryer air vent had never been cleaned to the outside (which was why it would take 4 cycles to dry 3 towels) and there was a huge lint pile in a corner outside the front door where the vent was placed, to prove it. Sliding doors to outdoors required a strong adult to push closed as they were so old and the tracks so dirty. Jacuzzi cover was broken. Bathroom mats and bedspreads were dirty- when asked Hatteras Realty manger Janet, admitted they never washed them. The place was VERY well worn, and dirty. We had to have a cleaning crew come in when we arrived to re-clean. Room fans looked like they had never been dusted given the long strands that were hanging off them when we arrived, and even the cleaning crew were disgusted.

We reported everything with photos to Hatteras Realty, and spent long periods of time waiting for Janet (office manager), who kept us waiting when we came to complain, promised to get back to us and did not, and finally on our last day when we insisted on seeing her again, she offered us a free linen package if we booked another vacation with Hatteras!

Do not use this company!

NC
Level Contributor
3 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Is Hatteras Realty reliable?

No ! Horrible ! Use Midgett Realty or Surf & Sound

20. Re: Is Hatteras Realty reliable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, August 25, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Hatteras Island