We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter trip to Outer Banks-advice needed for route & lodging

Tybee Island...
Level Contributor
161 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Winter trip to Outer Banks-advice needed for route & lodging

My husband and I are driving from south Florida to Newport News, VA over the Christmas holidays. We have the time to stop off along the way and would like to spend a few days along the NC coast. Two main questions.

1) Should we drive the whole route along the water via Charleston, Wilmington, New Bern, etc.? And if we do, don't we have to take the ferries from both Cedar Island and then Ocracoke? Is this doable in a day from Charleston? The alternative I think is to stick to I95 to Rocky Mount and then head east to Nags Head. But if we stay on Hatteras, this would then mean driving all the way down. Which route would be recommended?

2) Would love some suggestions on places to stay that will be open the week between Christmas and New Years. We definitely prefer B&B's to hotel or motels. One promising place is the Inn on Pamlico Sound, but we're open to ideas.

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Ocracoke
Ocracoke
Outer Banks, NC
Nags Head
Nags Head
Outer Banks, NC
Hatteras
Hatteras
Hatteras Island, NC
Battle Creek, MI
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Winter trip to Outer Banks-advice needed for route & lodging

Thank you for telling us all about your trip, it sounds wonderful!!! I love getting off the highways. I read alot of the post last night and I can't wait to see the Outer Banks. It's so helpful reading other's experiences good and bad.

Teresa

Mentioned in this post
Outer Banks
Outer Banks
North Carolina Coast, NC
Waves, North...
1 post
Save Reply
12. Re: Winter trip to Outer Banks-advice needed for route & lodging

Watermens Retreat in Waves on Cape Hatteras is absolutely amazing. The people were super friendly and the units are so sleek and modern. Yet the view tops all with a perfect sight of the "slick"...world famous kiting spot. I highly recommend going to www.watermensretreat.com and see for yourself. Summer or winter are good times to check it out

13. Re: Winter trip to Outer Banks-advice needed for route & lodging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 01, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Hatteras Island