We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming in the Sound?

Chumuckla, FL
Level Contributor
51 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming in the Sound?

Looking to rent a beach house on the Outer Banks. There are several small children in our group. Was wondering if the Sound side of the islands is good for swimming with the children. Some of the pictures I have seen, show reeds near the water, but then other sites talk about sandy beach on the sound. Can someone recommend a good area on the Sound to look for a beach house? Will be traveling at the end of July. Thanks

bedford,ny
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming in the Sound?

Call and speak to one of the the real estate offices.they should be able to match you with an appropriate soundfront rental.

manteo
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming in the Sound?

swimming in the sound is absolutley safe. I reccommend staying at Pirates Cove . Its a very nice family kid area near the sound.

Washinton, DC
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming in the Sound?

Agree with OBX4U. When the little ones get bigger, I recommend Frisco oceanfront or side -- can't go wrong with either...

Washinton, DC
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming in the Sound?

Agree with OBX4U. When the little ones get bigger, I recommend Frisco oceanfront or side -- can't go wrong with either...

Lexington, ky
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming in the Sound?

The beach you want is Canadian Hole just South of Avon. The closest cottages to it are in the Askins Creek neighborhood, which basically includes the first three streets on the left coming into Avon from the South. Canadian Hole Beach is just off Route 12. The water is warm and calm and without currents. Your kids can wade out just about to the horizon with only a few deeper spots here and there. You also have the fascinating backdrop of windsurfers and kite surfers sailing up and down the sound further out with their colorful rigs.

However, you should equip your kids with watershoes (available for about $10 at any windsurfer or beach outlets) because the Sound often has sharp clamshells or shell fragments on the bottom.

During some weeks of some years small jellyfish are plentiful in the sound. This year in June they were not a problem, but it depends when you're there. At Windsurfing Hatteras, on the North edge of Hatteras behind Kittyhawk Kites, they sell a preventive lotion you rub on to prevent jellyfish stings, and if your kids do get stung, you can apply meat tenderizer to the area and it will erase the pain.

Get answers to your questions about Hatteras Island