We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do In and near Greenville, NC

lake havasu, az
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What to do In and near Greenville, NC

My husband has moved to greenville for work and is very happy with his new job. I am a RN and know I can get a great job. We currently own a home in AZ in Lake havasu city known for the London Bridge. We love the weather and the beauty of the desert. We tolerate 120 degree summers with a beautiful backyard and pool. This would make for a heck of a change and I would appreciate all input as to whether or not this would be a good change of life. We moved from Cali after the northridge earthquake and adjusted well. We are pretty open to change especially when the paychecks roll in. I could really use some help from people out there as to what the pros and cons are regarding living in such a different environment and clmate My husband is a histroy buff and very excited to be able to visit all the wonderful history back east. we work a lot and still want to enjoy everything we can. Please let me know what places are close and fun to visit. we are also Nascar fans and know this will open up another new world by living back east. Are we making a good choice? We are considering keeping our house in the desert but would have to settle for a apt. or something close to that if we live back east and keep house out in the west Maybe we should try and sell and buy a nice home back east? Please help with any info. We have never even traveled back there. My husband has been there for 3 weeks now and loves his job but we are also worried about the life we would soon lead. Thanks for all advice and suggestions in advance. We are 52 years old so still able to adjust pretty well to change. thanks again!

14 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
66 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: What to do In and near Greenville, NC

North Carolina has 4 great seasons with mountains/sking or an ocean. Try visiting Ocracoke Island on the ferry which is past Washington or car racing in Charlotte. I've been to Phoenix and parts of Arizona and I love the trees, the seasons, the people and the small town feel of Greenville. Great medical facilities which will be handy as you become a senior citizen. Small college towns are the best. Welcome to NC!

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
10 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: What to do In and near Greenville, NC

Greenville is located in an ideal spot for day trips, overnighters, and just kicking back and staying home. Nobody has mentioned the famous BBQ places down east. And I would suggest exploring the diverse cuisine around the area.

Last week we traveled through the area on the way to Morehead City (a huge saltwater boating spot),. Picking up BBQ at B's, and the Skylight in Ayden (10 minutes south). Then on to "little" Washington for oysters and fresh trout. We then went to the fossil museum in Aurora. And travelled south over the Minnisott Beach ferry down to the beach.

We could have headed north through Plymouth and on to the outer banks. Which are also close. For another adventure. Greenville is close to being a true adventure-land. It is blazing hot and humid in the summer. Bu;t the other 3 seasons are great.

Greenville, North...
Level Contributor
76 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: What to do In and near Greenville, NC

I have lived in Greenville, NC my entire life(graduated from East Carolina University) and have also visited Phoenix,AZ and Las Vegas so I have experienced the dessert. NC is very humid and hot in the summer but a pool is also the cure for that too. The dessert is dry heat but like someone else said "hot is hot" and I didn't enjoy the dessert in July. I do not ever plan to go back to the dessert in July,lol!

Greenville offers a lot and the cost of living is great. If there is something Greenville doesn't have then you can always go to Raleigh or the beach. Raleigh has great museums that would appeal to your husband. The beach is close to Greenville(Morehead, the outerbanks, Wilmington(Wrightsville beach). You also have little Washington" which is a cute town on the water with great local restaurants and boutique shops. Also, check out Tryon Palace in New Bern.

In Greenville, go to Marabella Old World Pizza for the most amazing pizza in the USA. Ask for the Grandma's pizza and add whatever toppings you like. Also, enjoy coffee and desserts at the Coffee Shack. This is the cutest coffee shop ever. Go to Confection Connection for the best desserts. A little outside of Greenvile, is Yoder's Dutch Pantry, which serves an amazing breakfast made by the Amish. The food is made from scratch and delish!

There is also a new place named "Wine and Design" that just opened where you can paint a canvas while drinking wine and eating snacks. They don't provide the wine/snacks so you bring your own. However, you will leave with a beautiful painting on canvas. Stop by the Fresh Market for great wine and snacks!

Other places to check out:

-The Painted Peacock(paint your own pottery)

-VILLEDGE(wood-fired kitchen & bar with a great ambiance for food or just snacks/cocktails)

-Sundays in the Park(7pm at the Town Commons/bring blanket and have picnic while bands play in the park)

-Uptown Umbrella Market(open air-market on Wednesdays during summer months 5pm-8pm)

-Freeboot Fridays(music, food, and drinks before ECU home football games)

-First Fridays Uptown art walk

Greenville is a great town. I hope you enjoy yourself and if you have anymore questions, please ask!

Cartersville...
1 post
Save Reply
14. Re: What to do In and near Greenville, NC

Hi,

Thanks all for the input!

Wondering -Did you move and are you happy with the community ?

Can any of you tell me about the high schools in the area? and what about the best communities to live ?

Any other input is welcome as I am considering relocation to the area.

Thanks much,

Laleef

Reply to: What to do In and near Greenville, NC
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Greenville