We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Emerald Isle here's a few things...

Chicago
Level Contributor
679 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to Emerald Isle here's a few things...

Recently had a few friends heading down to Emerald Isle for a week. I decided last minute, yes the day they were leaving to go so did't know what to expect. Hopped on TA and wanted to find a little out about the place however was kind of surprsied wasn't much in the way of reveiws or acticvity opn the forums for emerald isle so just wanted to tell others who havn't been what it's like as well as some activities I liked.

Emerald Isle is ntohing like Virginia Beach or Myrtle Beach. It's much smaller town, much less touristy, doesn't really have a main drag of bars, shops, etc. in some ways this is good as I think Myrtle Beach is a bit too touristy and wisconsin dellsish but I do wish they had a bit more in the way of bars, nightlife, and restaurants. There is kind of a main drag, ther's a few tshirt shops nad some restaurants but not much in the way of nightlife or a main drag to walk down.

The food is the worst thing about this place, overpriced and terrible. First night went to the Mexican restaurant can't think of the name but it's near the bike rental place and tshirt shops just down from pebble beach. We had a party of 6 or 7 and the bill came to over $120 and that didn't include drinks. The tortillas are god awful but you can't really blame them as I can't imagine you can get good mexican products out there, I'm probably a bit spoiled comming from Chicago authentic mexican food. I got the flank steak my gf got the fajitas, no beverages only water and our part of the bill was about $40. Immediately after dinner we said were not wasting money on restaurants and went to the grocery store and ate baloney sandwiches the rest of the trip.

One day after kayaking we did stop at a restaurant can't think of the name something like bettys or soemthing little country breakfast and lunch place right next to colors tshirt shop. We both had the french toast and sweet tea, pretty good and pretty cheap. She had been here before and said that's the onc place that's cheap and not bad.

As far as other things to do you can go on a few boat tours, rent kayaks an jetskis. I rented Kayaks from a place in Indian Beach which is just down the road. Had a lot of fun kayaking out to the islands.

The main thing to do seemed to be to hang on the beach. I love the beach and could swim and lounge on the beach for weeks on end so this was perfect for me, however if you like day trips or activities there's not a ton to do in the way of those.

I got stung by a jellyfish on the first day but I was the only one in our party to get stung. There's some cool wildlife in the ocean. We wer eon the beach at like 1am and saw lots of crabs and stuff on the sand and some small one and two foot sharks in the shallow water on the beach maybe a foot or two in.

Overall it was fun. I drove down to charleston sc to visit some family for a day or two prior to emerald isle, I preferred it down there but it's like comparing apples to oranges. I had fun and would recommend emerald isle if you have a bigger group. May be a bit boring if it's just you and a gf or bf

Mentioned in this post
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Indian Beach
Indian Beach
North Carolina Coast, NC
Southport, North...
Level Contributor
54 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Emerald Isle here's a few things...

No offense, but I believe your experience with the food is a bit off-base. You came to the Carolina coast and went out for Mexican food when seafood should have been what you were looking for. When I travel to Chicago, I don't go out for fried chicken or shrimp and grits.

NJ
Level Contributor
553 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Emerald Isle here's a few things...

"ate baloney sandwiches the rest of the trip. "

What?

What about all the seafood fresh from the ocean?

What about local favorites like North Carolina bbq?

Mentioned in this post
North Carolina
North Carolina
United States
West Hartford...
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
520 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Emerald Isle here's a few things...

I'm glad you had a good time overall. But to base your dining decisions on one lousy experience in one restaurant that is totally non-typical of local cuisine is pretty harsh. You didn't do yourself any favors with those baloney sandwiches.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
2 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Emerald Isle here's a few things...

We travel to Emerald Isle, Pine Knoll Shores, Indian Beach, & Atlantic Beach area every year. If you want to eat good seafood for a reasonable price check out the Channel Marker, or McCurdy's. If you want fast cheap food, check out the 4 corners diner. Amos Mosquitoes has a nice selection of beverages and a good menu as well. There are several other places that come to mind, but I cannot remember their names right now.

One bit of advice, when you're traveling ask the locals where they enjoy eating out. They're so friendly in this area you feel like your family. Seriously, anyone who eats baloney sandwiches the majority of their vacation in this area is just plain crazy!

As far as night life, get on trip advisor.com and check out the night life. Katherine's has a great martini bar. There are plenty of things to do during the day as well. Take a boat ride out to Cape Lookout lighthouse, or visit Fort Macon, or if it's raining go visit the Aquarium, all these places are fairly close to one another.

There are plenty of strip malls to shop at as well. They aren't hidden or anything. You just have to remember you're not in downtown Chicago -Chi-town either! Get real!

Be safe and have a great time!

Mentioned in this post
Pine Knoll Shores
Pine Knoll Shores
North Carolina Coast, NC
Indian Beach
Indian Beach
North Carolina Coast, NC
Atlantic Beach
Atlantic Beach
North Carolina Coast, NC
5. Re: First trip to Emerald Isle here's a few things...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 02, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Emerald Isle