We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first trip to emerald isle, NC in June

Dublin, Ohio
1 post
Save Topic
first trip to emerald isle, NC in June

What is the best route to travel from Columbus, Ohio to Emerald Isle, NC? We are considering I-75 S to Knoxville and then I-40 East versus I-77 through West Virginia.

Any other advice for a first time visitor?

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first trip to emerald isle, NC in June

Either way is probably about the same time. You ought to stop for the night on the way. Wytheville, VA is a great place to stop if you go through WV. I believe I would go by I 77 through WV and stop in Wytheville, VA. If you took I 75/I 40 you could stop for the night in Asheville, NC. My son was in the Marines at Camp Lejeune. I went to Emerald Isle several times. Good luck.

Edited: 2:19 pm, April 02, 2011
Columbia, MD
Level Contributor
236 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first trip to emerald isle, NC in June

I77 through WV to I40 is just under 11 hours according to Google Maps. I75 via Knoxville to I 40 shows just over 14 hours.

We've been to EI in early June and late August. We've come on Saturday and Sunday and never had an issue with traffic getting onto the island. We have never had any problems with jellyfish. The water temps in early June run in the mid 70s. The surf can get rough here, so check tide conditions (rip current threat, wave height, high and low tide - the surf tends to be rougher when the tide is coming in) each day before venturing out and use good judgement. There are few lifeguards. Read the information about tides and currents and what to do if caught in a rip that is available in most rentals and you will be fine. If it is not a good day for the beach or you want a break from the beach, there are go cart tracks, aquarium in Pine Knoll Shores, Fort Macon, and the historic town of Beaufort. There are plenty of good places to eat.

You will enjoy it. Just kick back and relax.

3. Re: first trip to emerald isle, NC in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, October 25, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Emerald Isle