We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants and Grocery Stores

englewood, ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Restaurants and Grocery Stores

My wife and I will be visiting EI from 26SEP to 3OCT10. We are driving from the Jackonville, NC to EI and we will be staying in a condo, which has a full kitchen.

Could someone please tells use a good place to get groceries along our way or in EI.

Also, what are some good restaurants in EI and the surrounding area. It can be upscale or a hole in the wall, as long as the food is good. (BTW, we don't eat a lot of fried food).

West Hartford...
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
495 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants and Grocery Stores

The Food Lion in EI is your best bet. Be sure to get a Value Card the first time you shop there. There's also a Wal-Mart in Morehead City.

Be sure to dine at Carlton's in Salter Path - especially their Sunday brunch. White Oak Drive-in in (I think Salter Path) has a shrimpburger to die for. Also Bogue House in Swansboro for great E Carolina BBQ. IN EI, try Portabello's for Italian or Kathryn's Martini Bar (same ownership). I like the Ice House in Swansboro. Lots of good restaurants in Beaufort and Morehead City.

Enjoy!!

emeraldisle,nc
Level Contributor
159 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants and Grocery Stores

I hope you enjoy your visit to E.I. There is a Sam's club in Jacksonville. A Lowe's in Cape Carteret (right before the bridge to E.I.), a Harris Teeter in Morehead (24 and 70 intersection), a Healthy Eatz on 24 heading into Morehead (small organic market) Produce stands: in Cedar Point and Cape Carteret (Winberry), fish markets are : Capn Willis's (E.I.), Phillips (Swansboro), Capn Sams (Swansboro).

We enjoy RIverside, Kathryn's, Trattoria, Ducks, Portofino's, Carltons, Front Street Grill, Beaufort Grocery, BLue Moon, and El Zarape to name a few.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1 post
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants and Grocery Stores

We're in EI right now and I highly recommend NOT going to the Food Lion. Go to the Lowes Foods in Cape Carteret. It's just a couple of miles further - on the mainland side of the bridge at 58 and 24. We tried Food Lion twice (last night and again late this afternoon for a few forgotten items). Shelves are wiped out throughout the store. The lines were atrocious and the staff was less than helpful or friendly. Tonight after seeing there were no bananas or mustard, we walked out and drove to Lowes and where we had a completely opposite experience. Well stocked with friendly staff. We are staying in EI almost at Indian Beach with a toddler, but more than happy to make the slightly longer drive to Lowes again if we need anything else this week. Definitely will not visit Food Lion again.

ohio
Level Contributor
154 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants and Grocery Stores

I also vote for Lowes over food lion. Seemed to have better prices and just a nioer store. I also vote for Portofino's on EI and for Duck's in Swansboro--these were the two best restaurants we visited on our trip.

englewood, ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants and Grocery Stores

Thanks for the input, we are looking forward to our trip and this was great information. Hoping the hurricanes don't come to close to the area. My wife and I really need a relaxing vacation. :)

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,204 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants and Grocery Stores

For a good breakfast, go to Yana's in Swansboro. The apple fritters were the best I've EVER tasted!

7. Re: Restaurants and Grocery Stores

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 14, 2011