We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surf City/Topsail vs. Emerald Isle/Indian Beach

Which Emerald Isle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rocky River, Ohio
Level Contributor
191 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Surf City/Topsail vs. Emerald Isle/Indian Beach

Thinking about trying a new area for a week's vacation in September. We've been all over the Outer Banks, have been to the Brunswick Islands and Carolina Beach/Wilmington. We're now considering either Surf City/Topsail Beach or Emerald Isle. Can anyone weigh in on the pro's and con's of each? We do like a little activity (hit a couple restaurants/bars in the evening ... shop a little during the day), want a nice, wide, clean beach. It seems like Surf City is a little more affordable and I can get more for my money there, and we are on a budget, so that's a plus ... anything else we should know about?

Columbus
11 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Surf City/Topsail vs. Emerald Isle/Indian Beach

We just returned from another lovely vacation in Emeral Isle and I can't recommend it highly enough! Beautiful beaches down the entire island (the beach gets wider and dunes higher as you get down toward the end (west) of the island. It's a very family oriented (quiet) place but there are several nice restaurants on the island and many more in Morehead City and Beaufort. Don't know about bars or nightclubs. Island runs east west so you can virtually see the sun rise and fall over the ocean! We usually rent an oceanfront home and have had great experiences with Sun Surf Realty.

I cannot speak for the other beaches although I've been told from many people that Topsail is VERY quiet - few restaurants, if any...have to go off the island for any shopping.

I was told by the locals that September is the BEST time to visit. Hope you have a wonderful vacation!

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surf City/Topsail vs. Emerald Isle/Indian Beach

Just returned from Emerald Isle (we stayed in Indian Beach/Salter Path). It's 15 min outside Emerald Isle. We had the best time! We went into Morehead City and Beaufort. Gorgeous. We spent most of our time on the beach. We visited a couple restaurants and bars. Very nice! We will definately return!

3. Re: Surf City/Topsail vs. Emerald Isle/Indian Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, February 28, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Emerald Isle