We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Emerald Isle

Which Emerald Isle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
8 posts
Save Topic
Emerald Isle

Hello all,

I am planning a trip with my wife and 11 year old son. We booked a condo with Bluewater GMAC. We are staying the the Ocean Reef. Has anyone stayed there? can anyone recommend things to do or see?

Thanks so much!!

Pittsburgh
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Emerald Isle

hey robert, We just returned from Emerald Isle on Sunday. I have four children, the oldest is 12. We all enjoy the NC aquarium at Pine Knolls, just up the road on 24. Also the State Park Hammocks Beach, which is a short drive past Swansboro, a pontoon ride to a very nice beach on an island. Beaufort to the north has a maritime museum with some Blackbeard-Queen Anns Revenge shipwreck artifacts.Also Beaufort itself is a very historical port town. We took a 2 hour dinner cruise on Mystery Tours which is on the Beaufort waterfront.If you fish there is the Bogue Inlet Pier. I have not yet made it to Fort Macon in 5 trips to Emerald Isle, but hear it is nice. I hope this helps,enjoy your trip.

Ellicott City
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Emerald Isle

Hello,

robert1964 we have also rented at Ocean Reef. We stayed there last year as well, we really enjoyed the quiet and restful time. There are go kart tracks, further down in I believe, Atlantic Beach, there is an aquarium it is nice (air conditioned) but being from Baltimore we are little spoiled. Don't bother with Moorehead City unless you plan on booking a deep sea fishing trip--nothing else but some really tired shops!

Ruston, Louisiana
Level Contributor
76 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Emerald Isle

Hi Robert, We have a condo booked at Ocean Reef in Sept. When are you going?

PA
Level Contributor
575 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Emerald Isle

Hey Robert1964,

We have been visiting EI every summer for the past 16 years. Myself, hubby, daughter 25, son-in-law 26, and son 16. We usually rent a cottage on the ocean, but I'm sure your condo will be really nice too. GMAC is a great rental outfit.

Ei is very family friendly and not too commercialized yet like say Myrtle Beach. On top of what some of the other posters have written there is a shopping center on the east end of the island with a movie theater for rainy days. Also on that end of the island is a go-cart track, putt-putt, and waterslide park; great fun for an afternoon.

If you are a seafood lover, don't forget to get some fresh shrimp from one of the shrimp stands; there is nothing like it!

EI is a very special place for us; my daughter was married there two summers ago.

Enjoy your trip and your stay.

NYC
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Emerald Isle

Hi Pafisher,

Thanks for your reply. I do plan on going to the NC aquarium one of the days. Thanks for your info

NYC
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Emerald Isle

Hi meatballswife,

Thanks for your information. :-)

Hi jasminejean,

I am going from 8/25 thru 9/1

Hi keiarditwo,

thanks so much for your post. I cant wait to go!!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
82 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Emerald Isle

We just returned from EI yesterday. It was our 17th year. I miss it already. We rent 2 houses. Our ages range from 5 years old to 78 years old. There is a putt putt course, water boats, go carts and a driving range over the bridge in Cape Carteret. The complex is call Golfin Dolphin. It's a must for all us. There is a very nice grocery store there as well. And a golf course - Star Hill.

Ruston, Louisiana
Level Contributor
76 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Emerald Isle

Hi robert1964,

Aww, too bad. We arrive on 9/1. Looks like we will miss each other! Have fun and I look forward to your posting to see how your trip went!

PA
Level Contributor
575 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Emerald Isle

We'll be arriving on 8/11!! I can't wait! I've already ordered the groceries, booked the fishing charter and the dive boat!

Blandon, PA
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Emerald Isle

robert1964 please see my post on page one under "Rodents". I'm sorry but the place that I refer to that we stayed at last year was Ocean Reef. Beautiful place but.......

Get answers to your questions about Emerald Isle