We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duke University visit

Concord, NH
Level Contributor
90 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Duke University visit

I will be attending a fellowship at Duke University for a week in January and I am looking for a bed and breakfast that either offers transportation to the university or is within walking distance.

I would like more of an upscale bed and breakfast and can afford up to 200.00 per night.

Any suggestions?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
241 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Duke University visit

Hi again...

The Research Triangle Park (RTP) area and RDU airport locations will have many hotels for business folks in RTP. These hotels are plentiful but not nearly as close to Duke as your daughter would want to be for her visit. They are about 15 miles or so from the location of the others that I mentioned. So, you will want to look for the hotels that are not IN RTP but closer to Durham and Chapel Hill. (avoid the Red Roof Inn... rates might be good but I have not heard wonderful things about that one!)

We have had experience with Homewood Suites (staying there during an extensive remodel of our home). It was fine and has two rooms in all units with cooking facilities and complimentary breakfast bar and dinner (cafeteria style). Dinner is Monday - Thursday, I believe. It is about 2 miles further than the others that I mentioned but part of the Hilton group and fine. There is also a comfort Suites (or Inn) in the same area.

La Quinta is near a Chili's, Red Lobster and the other restaurants previously mentioned...

Hope these comments help. I know that there are others too... that are probably very good.

Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Duke University visit

Thanks for the great suggestions. I will continue to do some research. Thanks for letting me know the Research Area was too far. I know she would prefer being close by. Somewhere I think I read that the University Inn was walking distance to the Medical Campus. However, I also read the parking was tight. Not sure I want my daughter in a rental car, trying to squeeze into tight spots. ;)

We do use Priceline often. However, with her traveling alone I was concerned with where she would end up. I really will feel better if she is at a hotel with good, safe parking.

Thanks for the tip about the Manager's Special. I will be sure to ask about it. Will also ask about the Duke Medical Rate. I tried that for the car, and was able to do quite a bit better with AAA at the same rental agency. I asked if they could at least match AAA and they said no.

Edited: 10:56 pm, February 17, 2010
13. Re: Duke University visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, August 17, 2010