We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend at Washington Duke Inn?

Level Contributor
207 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend at Washington Duke Inn?

We are going on a college tour this summer and plan to visit Duke for the Saturday morning tour & info session. The Washington Duke Inn has a great promotion rate, so I decided to splurge on connecting rooms. My husband plays golf, so I thought this would be good place to stay for both Fri & Sat nights. My son and I can drive through UNC Chapel Hill and Elon. Unfortunately, we won't be able to tour because it is the weekend.

Here are my questions:

1. Do you think the Duke Inn is the nicest place in the area, especially for a golfer?

2. Would you suggest any other activities for us to do over the weekend?

3. Restaurant suggestions of places with great southern specialties are appreciated.

Thank you for your thoughts!

United Arab Emirates
Level Contributor
275 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend at Washington Duke Inn?

To answer your questions:

1) Yes, the Washington Duke is a VERY nice place, and a good choice if you are actually visiting Duke. It is on the golf course and on the southern edge of campus. There are some very nice hotels in Chapel Hill, but if golfing is part of your plan then you should definitely stay at the Washington Duke.

2) You can easily visit UNC Chapel Hill, as it's just a few miles down the road. Elon is a bit of a drive, but doable. Just visiting the 3 college campuses will probably fill up your weekend without leaving much extra time.

3) Gosh, oodles of restaurants to choose from. Pops is a good choice, though I wouldn't necessarily call it "southern", but it would give you a chance to see Brightleaf scene (a renovated tobacco warehouse full of restaurants and shops). Pops is actually across the street, but it's my personal favorite of the restaurants in that area. If you're looking for something a little on the fancy side I'm partial to Nana's. You can't beat breakfast at Elmo's Diner on 9th street.

Have fun!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
934 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend at Washington Duke Inn?

The Washington Duke is a perfect choice. For restaurants, the Magnolia Grill in Durham and Crook's Corner in Chapel Hill are good choices for Southern cuisine with a contemporary, gourmet twist. For down-home Southern food, try Bullock's in Durham or Dip's in Chapel Hill. The restaurant at the Washington Duke is excellent as well.

Level Contributor
207 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend at Washington Duke Inn?

Thanks for the fast answers. It sounds like we are in for a treat staying at the Washington Duke Inn! I suppose you are correct that there won't be much time to do anything beyond seeing UNC and Elon. I can be tempted into skipping Elon in favor of something else.

Keep the restaurant suggestions coming! I think breakfast is included in our rate at the Duke Inn. I live in a northeast suburb and rarely get to eat southern food, so I'm eager to try things. Is there a place famous for ribs or fried chicken in the area? I'm going to look up the restaurants you suggested. Thanks again.

United Arab Emirates
Level Contributor
275 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend at Washington Duke Inn?

The Q Shack is a more casual (order at the counter) lunch place, but their BBQ and ribs are fantastic.

And ditto what the previous poster said - Mama Dips in Chapel Hill is a must for a true Southern cuisine experience.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
16 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend at Washington Duke Inn?

Also, try Smithfield's BBQ on the way from Durham to Elon. There is one right off I-40 in Mebane.

Level Contributor
207 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend at Washington Duke Inn?

Thanks for all your restaurant tips. I looked them up on the internet and it sounds like great recommendations! In fact, I have to go eat dinner now because I felt hungry reading the menus.

7. Re: Weekend at Washington Duke Inn?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 am, September 25, 2009