We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How often do you buy the travel insurance?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
586 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How often do you buy the travel insurance?

Going to OBX for the first two weeks in July. While possible, most hurricanes occur later in the season so it seems like an added expense that is probably not necessary.

Do real estate agents/agencies etc make any commission on the sale of these policies?

If I am diagnosed with a terminal disease, the best medicine is to roll me out on the beach! (But that dx would have to happen no longer than 60 days prior to the vacation...)

Havs anyone ever really benefitted from one of these policies??

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,587 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How often do you buy the travel insurance?

This has come up a lot. Put the words trip insurance or travel insurance in the little empty search box on top of these posts and click the spyglass. You can do the same on the Outer Banks forum and NC forum and get many many many responses.

Things to keep in mind are that at least some rental companies automatically include it in their lease unless you UNcheck it and opt out. Someone suggested that's because of the NC Vacation Act where the rental companies want to prove you were offered/told about trip insurance and chose not to get it.

Obx200 says his company makes no money off trip insurance. I think it helps the companies cover themselves because of the law and it is the insurance company that makes the money. Personally, I think it's a small percentage of the vacation price for a great safety net...and a large percentage for the insurance company.

I have always heard one should buy trip insurance separate from the rental company/cruise ship/whatever one is traveling with.

Check the policy to be sure of its restrictions. When we first went we had one through the company where it looked like a hurricane, all reports were of a hurricane, we knew Rt 12 could be impassable and we thought why not avoid the crowds and leave at that point. The company told us the policy would not cover us unless an evacuation had been declared. So that policy didn't cover smart and careful and not wanting to wait for the mass exodus.

Granted you're not travelling to the bush here and don't need to worry about medical evacuation to civilization. But even if it's just you and you're very healthy, how do you know there won't be a death in the family or some emergency with your home location or family or friends. Not only so that you need to cancel your vacation but so that you need to arrive late or leave early.

People do benefit when they get the right policy with a reputable company. There are lots of variables you can choose and you can pay the top price to cover everything even a no- questions-asked, cancelled-for-any-reason vacation.

Here's just one forum question and responses out of many:

tripadvisor.com/…40279525

Edited: 9:28 am, October 23, 2012
scw
Bear, Delaware
Level Contributor
479 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How often do you buy the travel insurance?

We've made eight trips to the OBX and alway bought the trip insurance. I did file a claim when we had to attend a funeral mid-week. They paid for gas and tolls (keep all of your receipts) and 1/7 of the rental fee, even though we were gone for two days (they only pay for missed nights). We always chose the TI offered thru the rental company. I researched buying it from another insurance company, but didn't see much of a savings. The TI price is very small compared to the rental home charge. It also gives you piece of mind.

Steve

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
144 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How often do you buy the travel insurance?

I think, though am not sure, that when a "mandatory" evacuation is issued, the rental company will not charge you for the day(s) you are not allowed on the island - even without trip insurance. Has anyone else heard of this? We're here in Duck now (for 2weeks) and there is something brewing in the tropics. Not too worried though. We have never purchased trip insurance for our holidays here.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
765 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How often do you buy the travel insurance?

Mandatory evacuation or not, the rental company will charge you. This happened with Irene. It's all up to the owners. If they agreed to refund/rebook a comparable week it was up to them, but most didn't and I don't blame them. If you go on vacation to the beach in Aug/Sept and don't get insurance, you don't deserve a break IMO (i'm not an owner and have no affiliation with one or any rental company).

However, the insurance had a clause that made it difficult for people going after Irene more than 10 or so days after it. From what I read the rental companies tried very hard to accommodate these people (who DID purchase insurance, but insurance wouldn't cover). Didn't hear much after, so not sure if they could or not.

As for the OP, it's tough to say in July. We go May and Sept and always get it both times. While I know May should be no issue weather wise (and while July could be hurricanes, it's unlikely), you really never know what can happen personally (especially death in the familiy as everyone is getting older in ours). I'd rather spend that extra $70 than be out $2,000. Been going to the OBX for about 10 years and had to use the insurance twice, although both because of hurricanes in Sept, so to me it's worth it.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
586 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How often do you buy the travel insurance?

so the issue for us would be, we are two families renting together. the house is in my friend's name. If something happened to one family, doubtful the other wouldn't still go to the beach. I don't think insurance would help out half the party.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,587 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How often do you buy the travel insurance?

The other family would or wouldn't go?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
586 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How often do you buy the travel insurance?

ooops double negative! sorry. The other family would go. I know we would try to work it out betweeen families and try to find someone else to share but unless it was something that impacted both families driving from different parts of the country, I don't see us leaving the house vacant.

8. Re: How often do you buy the travel insurance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, November 05, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Duck