We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions for a Long weekend in February

United Arab Emirates
Level Contributor
275 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Questions for a Long weekend in February

My dh and I are trying to get away for 3 nights (w/out kids) the first weekend in February, and the Sanderling looks appealing. We've never been to the Outerbanks. Cold weather doesn't bother us, as this trip is more to relax, curl up with a good book, etc. However, we would be disappointed if we found the majority of the local restaurants closed during the off season. Can you comment on what we can expect? Are all the area roads open after the recent bad storms?

If we decided to do a little sight seeing, it seems that Kitty Hawk is close. Would the Hatteras Lighthouse be too far of a drive for a day trip?

Last question...coming from Durham/Raleigh, are any ferries required, or can we drive through straight to Duck?

Thanks for you advice!

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions for a Long weekend in February

The roads opened a day after the storms, don't worry about access here.

Sanderling is north of Duck so you are going to be on the northern end of most places that are open. Duck will have some places that are closed and Feb is without question the coldest month here. If staying indoors and reading is your criteria why go up to Sanderling and spend that much? I would stay in the Hilton in Kitty Hawk or look into Croatan Surf Club in Kill Devil Hills for a weekend. There are many places that are still open within 5 miles from them.

Edited: 9:09 am, December 08, 2011
Outer Banks, NC
Level Contributor
479 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions for a Long weekend in February

Sanderling is a good choice if you want Outer Banks style. The Hilton and Croatan surf club, not in my opinion.

No ferries on the road to Duck. I expect the Lifesaving Station restaurant at the Sanderling will be open, as will the Blue Point. Other places may be open, especially on weekends. Check with Roadside Bar and Grill, Red Sky Cafe in Duck to find out if they'll be open.

The roads are passable since the hurricane.

Hatteras Island is about 80 miles from Duck if you go to the end of the Island. Speed limits, once you get down to the bypass (US 158) are 50. Speed limits on NC 12 down to Hatteras are 55.

I only drive down there when we have visitors who want to see it.

As to OBX200, he never has anything good to say about anything north of Kitty Hawk, and he and I know why.

United Arab Emirates
Level Contributor
275 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions for a Long weekend in February

Thanks for the feedback. I think we'll give the Sanderling a try. Hatteras sounds a bit too far for this trip.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
586 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions for a Long weekend in February

You know when you arrive at the Sanderling. It is classic old school OBX but with modern spa type updates. If you get a good rate, sounds romantic!!

5. Re: Questions for a Long weekend in February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 11, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Duck