We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duck in the off-season

Beaufort, SC
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Duck in the off-season

We are a military family stationed at Parris Island, SC and are meeting some friends for a week in Duck in early March. Has anyone been there this time of year? Are there things to do? And how cold is it? This is the only time our friends can make it, so we're going regardless, but I'd like to know what to expect. We both have small children, but it doesn't take much to entertain them (or us for that matter). We're just happy to get any kind of vacation! Thanks in advance!

Locust Grove...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duck in the off-season

We've been vacationing in Duck for 15 yrs but in Sept. Duck is a quaint little town with plenty of restaurants and small shops which I assume are open in March.Many more stores and restaurants are in Kitty Hawk and Nags head.Mini golf also up and down the highway to Nags Head. Corolla, 18-20 miles N of Duck is a nice ride with more shops, a lighthouse and plenty of stores. Just before the lighthouse is a sort of "park" with nice scenery and the Whale Watchers Club which is a historic place-I think that's the name of it.You can drive on the beach and look at the mansions at the end of Rt 12. You won't believe the mansions all along the road to Corolla.

One of our favorite restaurants is Jolly Roger at mile post 7 or so on the beach road which is 12S-it's behind KMart on the highway. Look for discount coupons in the various books you'll see everywhere, at least in Sept we do.They have a family night on Tues I think.We also like Dirty Dicks (MP 9 or so on the highway) for a wide selection of seafood and a family place. Jockey's Ridge State Park is about mile Post 11-12 and a beautiful place to spend the early evening and watch the sunset on top of the biggest dunes on the Atlantic Coast-the kids can run down the dunes if they're old enough. It's quite a climb to get up to the dunes also but worth it.Picnic tables are available if the weather is nice.Can't tell you anything about Mar weather though. Of course, there is the Wright Bros. Museum in Kill Devil Hills, somewhere aroun MP 7 I think but you'll see it advertised.Email me if you'd like a place to get some restaurant coupons for a steal if you're interested-we use them all the time and I have my "stash" already for Sept as they are good for a year.I don't think I can put it on this board.

I'm at nanasal2@yahoo.com

Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duck in the off-season

Dear Military Family, good for you and your vacation! My family and I also come down to the outer banks in March because our kids are on spriong holiday. 2 years ago the weather was cool but the house we rented had a heated pool. We went to the aquarium and a few of the light houses. We stayed in Corolla but traveled the length of the outer banks. We are returning this year, same place, same house. We're hoping to get the kids to the Wrights Brothers and also check out the hugh dunes. Good luck with your trip!

Beaufort, SC
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Duck in the off-season

Thanks for the response! I'm glad to hear it's not too cold. I think we'll try to do the dunes too. Sounds like fun! Good luck with your vacations as well!

Belleville, ON
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Duck in the off-season

Hi! I was in Duck two years ago in Mid-March. It might have been the wrong year to be there but we experienced torrential rainfall for the entire week. We did manage to find a few things to do while there - and wore our raingear much of the time! Hey, we're tough!

1. The Wright Brothers' museum and first flight site is a must. It was great to walk to actual path of the first flight.

2. There's a great aquarium on Roanoke Island. Neat interactive display of skates and horseshoe crabs where you can touch them.

3. The Cape Hatteras park is beautiful.

4. There are wild horses on the northern tip of the Outer Banks but we only saw horse poo. Still, the beach is gorgeous if you have a sunny day for a walk! We too are easily entertained!

5. The Kitty Hawk sand dunes are impressive and would easily wear kids out if you let them run up and down them a few times! For the more adventurous, my husband went hang-gliding - a very cool experience!

6. There are lots of neat lighthouses to visit too.

As for weather, it was warm to us, but we were coming from Canada. We wore jeans and t-shirts on the days when the sun shone. It was around 62 Fahrenheit.

Good luck! This year, we're going as far South as Atlantic Beach to try our luck there!

Beaufort, SC
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Duck in the off-season

Thanks for the list! We head out tomorrow, Yeah! The kids are excited. Turns out we are going to stay in Nags Head, but I guess it's all within a short drive from everything else. The weather says upper 40s! Nippy, but we'll be fine! Thanks all for the advice.

New Jersey
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Duck in the off-season

My Husband and I are going to Duck next sat. for a nice long weekend. We have also never been there. Anything there for adults such as a show or thearter? Also any suggestions on a romanic place for dinner?

I hope you all enjoy your stay and get great weather. They are calling for warmer weather March 11th. Thank you for any help anyone can give us.

New Jersey
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Duck in the off-season

My Husband and I are going to Duck next sat. for a nice long weekend. We have also never been there. Anything there for adults such as a show or thearter? Also any suggestions on a romanic place for dinner?

I hope you all enjoy your stay and get great weather. They are calling for warmer weather March 11th. Thank you for any help anyone can give us.

West Virginia
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Duck in the off-season

Hi there,

Well, Duck has a few local restaurants (most all involve some type of seafood, of course) and shops to choose from but it is mostly a residential community filled with beach homes. All of the activity and things to do (like theatres) can mostly be found 20 or so minutes south beginning in Kitty Hawk/Southern Shores and stretching all the way down to Manteo.

Hudson Valley, NY
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Duck in the off-season

You can never expect good weather in March. The days are often windy and the air temperature will be cooler than just a few miles inland. Duck is a great community and you will probably have a good time. If your lucky the weather will cooperate. It is 70 degrees today.