We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we worry about Hurricane's and extreme Heat for Aug?

Long Island, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Should we worry about Hurricane's and extreme Heat for Aug?

We are wondering, for you locals/regular vacationers to the OBX, whether Hurricane and heat are an issue in the month of August? I am getting mixed reviews and would like some sound advice. Is the weather really stagnant by the end of August?

NC
Level Contributor
489 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we worry about Hurricane's and extreme Heat for Aug?

Yes to both.

Hurricanes are always an issue that time of year but the insurance that you buy for $40 or so will cover you in case of that.

August is our hottest time of the year. The humidity is what determines how bad if feels. That being said...I wouldn't let a little heat keep me from going to the beach. I would reconsider running a marathon then but not going to the beach. Hot is good. There is usually a nice breeze to cool you down or there is always the ocean to get in for a refreshing dip.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we worry about Hurricane's and extreme Heat for Aug?

Yes, definitely buy insurance, it is worth it. Hurricanes are a reality, we worry every year; but the can really mess up a vacation. We were headed to Ocracoke when Alex hit. Since Ocracoke was accessible only to residents, we found a place to stay in Hatteras-made lemonaide out of lemons that week-however, insurance was comforting to have.

As mentioned, the heat can get pretty intense, it is the south, but at the beach and at night it feels cooler.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
586 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we worry about Hurricane's and extreme Heat for Aug?

It is the risk you take for lower rental fees. The farther you are below Kitty Hawk the more likely that a mandatory evacuation will be called in case of a hurricane because it floods more easily. However since the obx has become more populated and there are only 2 bridges off the island, the disaster planning group is more likely to make a mandatory evacuation than say 10-15 yrs ago. The island is definitely hot toward the end of august but everything has AC so you can sleep comfortably. Unless the AC breaks...but then the rental agencies will give yo a partial rebate like we got one year! Also, the college kids who staff the restaurants all leave mid august so sometimes the restaurants are slower.

southern public schools also start in August so there aren't a lot of locals around.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
731 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we worry about Hurricane's and extreme Heat for Aug?

Don't let either of these stop you. During hurricane season, there's a "chance" of a huurricane all the way up the coast from Texas to Massachusettes. I was in Massachusettes when "Bertha" came through in 1996 (I think that's the correct year), and it's rare to get a hurricane there!

Make sure you get travel insurance though. MOST rental agencies DO NOT give you partial refunds, even if there's a manditory evacuation. I know ours doesn't, and it's even written into the contract.

Don't let this deter your vacation plans, each time I've been to the carribean it's been during the height of hurricane season and it was fabulous!

Murrysville, PA
Level Contributor
313 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we worry about Hurricane's and extreme Heat for Aug?

Get the trip insurance, bring lots of SPF40 and have fun!

6. Re: Should we worry about Hurricane's and extreme Heat for Aug?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, September 20, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Duck