We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

house rental advice

Heart of it all
Level Contributor
577 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
house rental advice

We are planning on renting a large house in Duck next June. After reading reviews on here about bad experiences, we want to be extra careful. Does anyone know anything about Southern Shores Reality? We rented a house in Surfside three years ago and had a wonderful experience. I guess I took for granted that they would all be that good. Please advise. We will need 5-6 bedrooms & 3-4 bathrooms. I've looked at the websites, and most look nice on there. Thanks for any help.

1. Re: house rental advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:47 pm, September 27, 2007
Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
429 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: house rental advice

My family's beach house was rented through Southern Shores from the 1960s until 2002. We never had any problems, or any complaints from renters.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: house rental advice

We rented for beachrealtync.com

We rented House Just in Time for the second week of our honeymoon.

Our pool wasn't heated - even though we paid $400 to have it heated. Upon arrival, we read the guest book and learned that there were prior "pool heat" problems. Seems to me that the owners and rental company knew of this problem, but they don't tell you that - because frankly, we would have rented elsewhere if we had known that our pool wouldn't have been heated. The rental company tried to tell us that no one paid the pool heat fee all summer (and that is why they didn't "know" that there was a problem with the heater). The guest book stated otherwise (gosh, I just LOVE liars during my honeymoon).

Despite being told that our pool heat fee of $400 would be refunded, over three weeks later, we are still waiting.

To add insult to injury, I just called the company today. The woman on the phone was really nice, however, when she read the notes in the file, she told me that we complained about the lack of heat in the pool, but there was no note about a refund. She said that she was going to contact the main office to learn about the status of our refund.

I can say that we will never again rent from beachrealtync and although the owners were nice (they were staying next door during our stay), I think they are partly to blame.

Good Luck to those of you renting in Duck, NC. Overall, we loved OBX and can't wait to return, but we have already picked another rental company.

richmond
Level Contributor
926 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: house rental advice

We rented through Elan last year. Which are are you looking at in Duck? Sometimes some neighborhoods have more homes with a particular rental company.

richmond
Level Contributor
926 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: house rental advice

Oops-- meant where in Duck.

atlanta, ga
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: house rental advice

Twiddy is a great rental company. Go to www.twiddy.com. We have stayed at the "Sammons" house. It is gorgeous- designer decorated and almost brand new. Although it is not on the beach, its a 3 minute walk and you have great views of the sound and the ocean. It has a pool and hot tub. Great house!

tennessee
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: house rental advice

we are going in march 08 week before easter, never been before any suggestions on really nice ocean front properties, or oceanside want to be walking distance at least but still have some views. thanks

philadelphia
Level Contributor
492 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: house rental advice

In my past several experiences with southern shores reality have been very positive. I just booked for the first week of June through them at A shore thing 2. I think you will be fine using this company

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: house rental advice

We have rented from Twiddy, ResortQueston and Carolina Designs. We have had decent experience with all three.

I don't know about Southern Shores.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: house rental advice

We rented Barnacle Bill from Southern Shores for two years. We had a great experience with Southern Shores. Everything was clean, nice and efficient!

Get answers to your questions about Duck