We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

?'s on Swan Beach

Indiana, PA
4 posts
Save Topic
?'s on Swan Beach

We are new to vacationing in the Outer Banks. My extended family usually goes to North Myrtke Beach, but this year we wanted something different. We have rented 8 br house in Swan Beach (Ms Swan from Sun Realty) in the beginning of June. Is anyone familiar with this area? It is considered semi-coeanfront with distance to the beach 175'. Are there any recommendations on grocery stores in this area? And when is the best time to shop? Is it difficult to 1st timers to get to the 4x4 beaches? Has anyone used Sun Realty before? I have been trying to convince my family to try OBX for the last seven years and I want it to go as smoothly as possible? Thanks so much for your advice!!!

Mentioned in this post
Outer Banks
Outer Banks
North Carolina Coast, NC
Williamsburg...
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: ?'s on Swan Beach

Once you vacation on Swan Beach, you will never want to go back to any other beach! There nothing but solitude and privacy. Groceries need to be bought before you go off road. There is a Food Lion and a Harris Teeter and, closer to the end of the road, a Trading Post for small pick up items. You need to consult a tide chart. Do not try to make the drive the first time at high tide...or at night. You do know there are no roads, right? No street lights. No stores. Nothing but sand. Make sure you air down to around 20psi before going off road. Stay in the ruts of someone who has already made it down the beach and you ought not have any trouble. Plan turns well in advance...you can't just make swift movements in the sand. Have fun.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,804 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ?'s on Swan Beach

Tk, very succinctly and wisely said. I'll keep the info myself because our families have only ever wanted to be as far as the road ends. Yes, it's amazingly dark at night, albeit beautiful, when one is used to town lights.

Indiana, PA
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: ?'s on Swan Beach

Just wanted to say thanks to tkcrockett and explorer3 for responding. My family cannot wait for our vacation and are looking forward to the solitude of the 4x4 area, in comparison to the very busy beaches and resorts we always go to. Thanks again!!!!

Corolla North...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ?'s on Swan Beach

I own a beach rental property in North Swan Beach and let me assure you the area is fantastic. If you like open space, tranquility, wildlife and the beach you will love it. Your cottage is on the other side of the first street so you will have no trouble walking or driving to the beach. There are no stores up on the 4x4 beach. You will need to drive back down to the shopping area in Corolla where there is a Food Lion for groceries and several restuarants and stores for shopping. You should check the tide chart and go at low tide. One important thing to remember before you head up the beach is to LOWER the air in your tires to 10-15 lbs. This will make the drive so much easier and you will not get stuck in the sand. There are air pumps at the gas station in Corolla and in Duck to refill to get home. I hope you convince you family to come and stay in the northern beaches. It certainly is a magnificant place.

Mentioned in this post
Corolla
Corolla
Outer Banks, NC
Chicago, Illinois
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: ?'s on Swan Beach

Does anyone have any knowledge/advice about the area of 1928 Sandfiddler Road (Section 3, Block 5, Lot I) of North Swam Beach? We are renting a small home there this summer and are new to the area and home. Thank you very much.

Swan Beach, NC
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: ?'s on Swan Beach

Yes, I know 1928 Sandfiddler North Swan. Nice house. If photographic memory serves me, the lot directly across the sand path is vacant. Anyway, in this area your views of the ocean from semi-oceanfront are as good as oceanfront. You'll love the beach here too, nice and flat, you can safely wade in the water but take your vehicle to the beach for protection as there is some traffic on the beach. Adding insult to injury, there are few Jeep rental companies and a few idiots who rent them drive like idots through the ocean, do donuts and generally get obnoxious with their 90 minute rental toy. Anyway, I love the area, love the beach and especially love not having to lug a thing to the beach and have everything I need right at my fingertips. Need I say more?

Pennsylvania
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: ?'s on Swan Beach

We are planning our first visit in early June, staying at 2016 Sandfiddler Rd. Can you give me any advise in regrads to the property we rented & typical weather that time of year?

Also, as we are traveling from Pennsylvania, I was wondering if you could suggest the best time and route to arrive at our destination. Are ferry's available to this locale?

Thank you, Jeanine

Mentioned in this post
Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania
United States
MD
Level Contributor
15 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ?'s on Swan Beach

Hi- we have been to the OBX many times and have enjoyed our vacations very much. But, kids are all adults now and we would like to try Swan Beach. Can someone give me an opinion about 4 wheel drive vehicles that are not big trucks but more standard issue such as a Subaru wagon or a Honda CR-V that is all wheel drive. In your opinion does someone need a "high clearance" Jeep type vehicle? This is our biggest concern. Getting stuck!

Swan Beach, NC
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: ?'s on Swan Beach

Forget your Subaru, forget all-wheel drive. You' need a high clearance 4X4 to get around the 11 miles of beach after the road ends in Corolla. While during low tide you can drive along the shore easily in any vehicle, you'll never make it over the soft accesses across the dunes to get back to the rental homes. The beach gets very soft and the tracks fro vehicles get deep. If you bottom out, you ain't going nowhere.

Mentioned in this post
Corolla
Corolla
Outer Banks, NC
MD
Level Contributor
15 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ?'s on Swan Beach

Thanks John:

I got the same advice from friends who take their 4x4 to Swan Beach. All is good if the sand is packed, otherwise forget it and the conditions are unpredictable. They say they have seen cars like ours get very stuck. So I guess we will stick to the road side homes.

Get answers to your questions about Corolla