We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wright Brothers Memorial Bridge in Kitty Hawk

Which Corolla hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auburn Hills...
5 posts
Save Topic
Wright Brothers Memorial Bridge in Kitty Hawk

Is it relatively safe to cross this bridge on a bicycle?

thanks;

Francis

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wright Brothers Memorial Bridge in Kitty Hawk

I would never do it. I would say it is done, but only by good riders.

Auburn Hills...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wright Brothers Memorial Bridge in Kitty Hawk

is there any way at all for a cyclist to get from the mainland onto the outer banks safely?

thanks for your help,

Francis

nc
Level Contributor
480 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wright Brothers Memorial Bridge in Kitty Hawk

I would choose the Wright Brothers bridge over any other route. The only other bridge option would be through Manteo, which includes two bridges, the second one being really high and windy. I get scared in a convertible on that bridge!

If you decide to go for it, I would suggest timing your crossing for as little traffic as possible. In the summer, that means mid-week. I'm not sure about the time of day - early morning or mid-day seems best.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,289 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wright Brothers Memorial Bridge in Kitty Hawk

What does the rest of your trip look like? Is this a cycling excursion or are you just staying in Manteo and want to ride your bike to the beach? You might be able to get a car ride across the bridge and then get on your bike once you get on the other side. Not sure how you'd go about finding out, but it seems plausible.

Auburn Hills...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wright Brothers Memorial Bridge in Kitty Hawk

Thanks all; its a bike excursion; just trying to figure a way to outer banks from say New Bern.

nc
Level Contributor
480 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wright Brothers Memorial Bridge in Kitty Hawk

Oh in that case, take the ferries!

Auburn Hills...
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Wright Brothers Memorial Bridge in Kitty Hawk

Thanks; whoever you are; I appreciate it!

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,289 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wright Brothers Memorial Bridge in Kitty Hawk

Yes, it greatly depends on where you're coming from.

From New Bern the Cedar Island Ferry or Swanquarter ferry will get you to Ocracoke. From Ocracoke you can take the Hatteras Ferry to Hatteras and points north. http://www.ncdot.gov/ferry/ . Although it says you need to make a reservation for Cedar Island and Swanquarter, I'm not sure if that's true for passengers with bikes as their only method of transport. You should call and ask.

How far do you want to ride? The OBX are long.

These might be helpful:

http://www.ncdot.gov/travel/mappubs/bikemaps/

http://www.outerbanks.com/biking.html

www.carolinatailwinds.com/outerbanks.htm

www.carolinatailwinds.com/ocracoke6d.htm

outerbankschamber.com/main/….UznY1NxWiXM

Auburn Hills...
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Wright Brothers Memorial Bridge in Kitty Hawk

Thanks so much for all the information; that's what I need to know. I'm relocating to NC next year and am going to be traveling and exploring by bike; so I'm researching all options. Living in Michigan too long; came from California; haven't seen the ocean in 17 years; know what I mean? Soon time to sojourn!

Francis

Wuelfrath, Germany
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Wright Brothers Memorial Bridge in Kitty Hawk

There are many technical problems with Flyer I 1903. The plane was unstable, underpowered and had propellers that appeared only in 1908, exactly in the same year when the Wright brothers flew for the first time in front of credible witnesses, more than 8 months after Orville Wright saw Henri Farman flying in Paris on 18 Nov. 1907. The brothers simply lied about their flights in 1903-1905. They built their planes in France in 1908 with french engines (Barriquand et Marre), french propellers and using the entire French flight experience of 1908.

see:

http://wright-brothers.wikidot.com

Get answers to your questions about Corolla
Recent Conversations