We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid this rental - Afterdune delight CP-91

Which Corolla hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Westminster...
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Avoid this rental - Afterdune delight CP-91

We have been vacationing in OBX for the past 18 years as a family and have never been driven to write a review until now. We have enjoyed the most fantastic vacations until we rented this place. We were warned about the carpet when we checked in. "It's clean but very stained." OK, no problem, as always thank you Sun Reality for your fantastic service. Once we were able to get in, the carpet was the least of our worries. The indoor hot tub chemical odor reeking through the house made my sis in law physically sick. We had to leave the doors open in the hot tub room, , unfortunately all the screens were broken. When we called about the black mold in our bathroom, they had a person come re-caluk in a few days. While the kitchen was well stocked, the gapping hole where something was, was kind of disgusting. When you add in; electric outlets were falling out, wires were sticking out, dead bugs were on the ceiling over the table, most sliding doors were broken, the deck furniture was basically trash, the brown stains and paint were vile, water would pour off the top deck for no reason, it was quite unpleasant to stay here.

Having stayed in OBX all these years, it was shocking to see a house this bad for so much money.

The single redeeming quality of this house is its proximity to the beach, period.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
350 posts
438 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoid this rental - Afterdune delight CP-91

Well - Sun Reality should be ashamed of themselves for renting such poor quality! I would complain to the manager of Sun and report/show pictures.... unacceptable.

Westminster...
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoid this rental - Afterdune delight CP-91

beardogmom; To be fair to Sun Realty, the manager contacted me immediately after I called the 2nd day we were there. He was extremely understanding and asked for a list and was willing to fix what was wrong. The problem was, so much was wrong and frankly it was my 1x per year vacation and I just did not want to deal with it all. We did ask for; please caulk the tub in our room (the black mold was vile) and try and get rid of the noxious fumes coming from the hot tub (maint person came and said it should not be in a closed room). The manager told me that of the 7 renters including us, 5 have rented the house already, which absolutely shocked me.

Floyd, the Sun manager, also sent me an email, which was very nice, and gave us a "early" checkin "coupon", but we will not be staying in Corolla again, we have been in Duck all these years and just like it.

Anyway, thanks for your comments and I know that we will be checking these forums next year prior to renting.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
425 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoid this rental - Afterdune delight CP-91

Great to hear Sun was responsive and had you put together a list. Sorry the house was so bad. We are owners who go down all the time, but some owners are investors and don't do anything. They deserve to be dropped from the rental program and your review could do it.

4. Re: Avoid this rental - Afterdune delight CP-91

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, July 18, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Corolla
Recent Conversations