We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
38 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Is it easy to rent a 4WD in OBX area?

We're thinking of a large family reuinion in the OBX- around 26 people total. We need a house with at least 10 bedrooms, if not more. Houses in the 4WD area are noticeably cheaper than those in the more populated areas. Several families that are considering coming do not have a 4WD vehicle. Is it easy to rent a 4WD vehicle in the area to access the house? They want to drive their own vehicle to the area but use the rental to get to the house. Will the rental places allow you to leave your non 4WD vehicle there?

Thanks

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it easy to rent a 4WD in OBX area?

No, there are few to no 4x4 rentals here. Most people that do this rent from where they come from, not once they get here. There is a Jeep dealer and a Chevy dealer on the Outer Banks, but neither rent 4x4 that I know of. There is Midgette Auto across the bridge that might, but I would call them to verify first.

nc
Level Contributor
492 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it easy to rent a 4WD in OBX area?

I actually heard that Outer Banks Chrysler Jeep does rent 4x4's and also allows you to take them on the beach. However, the 4x4 area is actually remote, and not necessarily easy to get to for someone with no experience driving in the sand. Are you planning to come during the high-season? Perhaps aiming for late August or September would be another way to save some money.

Outer Banks, NC
Level Contributor
479 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it easy to rent a 4WD in OBX area?

Your only viable option is here: http://www.outerbanksjeep.com/

They are in KDH and rent 2 and 4 door Jeep Wranglers by the day or week.

You are allowed to drive them on the beach in the 4x4.

Reserve well in advance--they have a limited number to rent.

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
38 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it easy to rent a 4WD in OBX area?

We are planning to come in either April/May or August/September. I appreciate the suggestions and it seems clear that all members of our party will probably need to rent a 4WD for the trip down.

Is any vehicle sufficient to get to the beach house as long as it has 4WD or do we need to have a specific type of vehicle. We don't necessarily plan on crusing around, just want to make it to our house safely.

Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
414 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it easy to rent a 4WD in OBX area?

Please take into consideration that this is the only way to get to these houses. Are you all experienced 4x4 drivers? Do you know that you will be driving around people enjoying the beach? You will need to keep an eye on the tides, as well as the tree stumps that can get in your way. Getting to the grocery store, etc. will take extra planning and time. All things to think about.

Youngstown
Level Contributor
94 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it easy to rent a 4WD in OBX area?

I have stayed in Carova several times. Twice we rented a Dodge Nitro and it did just fine. It sits a little lower to the ground than most 4x4 so it can at times bottom out depending on how deep the ruts are that you are driving it. We have had jeeps and trucks as well. Whatever you do, DO NOT get talked into renting an AWD vehicle. They will not work in deep/loose sand and you will end up having to get pulled out.

Like others have said, plan on extra time for getting to/from the house. Get a tide schedule for the length of your stay and keep an eye on it. At high tide the beach can be impassable in some areas.

Eastern Kentucky...
Level Contributor
287 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it easy to rent a 4WD in OBX area?

You want to rent in Carova because it is cheaper, correct? By the time everyone rents a 4 x 4, they are going to spend a great deal of money. Factor that in, and it's probably not going to save you any money.

Eastern Kentucky...
Level Contributor
287 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it easy to rent a 4WD in OBX area?

You want to rent in Carova because it is cheaper, correct? By the time everyone rents a 4 x 4, they are going to spend a great deal of money. Factor that in, and it's probably not going to save you any money.

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
38 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it easy to rent a 4WD in OBX area?

Most of us live in Western PA and already own various 4WD vehicle- of the families coming, only 3/9 do not have a 4WD. We all have experience driving in the snow with 4WD (you can't access my house currently unless you have a 4WD and it's like that most of the winter) but none of us have drivin on the beach in a 4WD vehicle. We like the idea of the isolation with only a few other houses around, the horses and the the quiet- aside from price, that's why we were looking at Carova. Should I take it from all the comments that we should rethink this strategy?

Pittsburgh...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it easy to rent a 4WD in OBX area?

I think you'll be fine.....what type of vehicle are you planning on taking?

Family members of mine go every year, lately they've been going in a Jeep Commander. The big thing to know is that you will probably want to consider lowering the tire pressure in your vehicle before you venture out into the sand. Corolla is the end of the line before you start heading up the beach to Corova. Take a little time to let some air out of the tires and you'll be fine.

Check out this video of tips http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTnkxrEnt7A

Get answers to your questions about Corolla