We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Travel

Bumping this to the top:

How did it go for everyone? We too are coming from the north ( DC area )and wonder the best way to go. We are renting in Duck. Any advise on getting there quickly and not in stop and go traffic? Thanks Diana

Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel

So far I've talked to 3 friends who have already been to OBX this summer. Not sure what route they took but all were Saturday rentals. One was in Kitty Hawk and it took them 8.5 hrs from Gainesville, VA. Other 2 were staying in Corolla and from Ashburn it was about 8 hrs, from Gainesville 10 hrs. Good luck!

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,886 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel

There are not that many ways to get here from DC or Gainesville. There are a couple ways to get to Chesapeake Va but once there it is all the same and there is no reason to go to Eliz City and down to Edenton and then to Manteo if you are going to Kitty Hawk or Corolla. From Chesapeake take rt 158 south to Kitty Hawk and up rt 12 if you are going to Corolla. If you come on a Saturday come early early or late to avoid traffic. If you arrive at the bridge to Kitty Hawk at 11am or later it will be backing up until about 6pm. The ride up rt 12 will be backed up to Duck (5 miles) starting at about 10am. Once past Duck it moves well up to Corolla. Traffic on Sunday is not much of an issue anytime of day.

richmond
Level Contributor
935 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel

When are you coming? Sat or Sun. I also think the further you get in to August the traffic gets better as more kids go back to school. I would get an early start just because traffic in DC and 95 is always bad and take 460 instead of 64.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
358 posts
489 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel

any changes in traffic patterns for 2013?? we are heading down the last week of August - we usually go in September so I am wondering how much traffic we will run into on a Sunday check in? We are staying at the Currituck club in Corolla.

Charlton
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel

Just got back from our vacation in Corolla,NC- from Massachusetts....lets just say the 11 hour drive to get to the bridge leading to the OBX was uneventful and not much traffic - we took the eastern coast route 13 to get there...but 23 miles left to our destination - about 4 miles before the bridge- it was literally a parking lot and this was by 3 in the afternoon. This was on a Saturday, June 29... it took us 3 hours to get over the bridge and into Corolla. My sister went down the Friday nite before and stayed overnight in Kitty Hawk. It took her well over an hour that Saturday to get from Kitty Hawk to Corolla where our rental was... It was brutal. Sunday may not be that bad...Duck is the most trafficky of all spots besides Kitty Hawk, once you get passed Duck traffic eases up a bit. Leaving the following Saturday we left at about 5;30 am as the realtor told us traffic gets backed up by 7am. She was right b/c there were a line of cars behind us! I think I will stick to Cape Cod beaches in Mass from now on seeing as it's only a 2 hour drive for me to get to their bridge!

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
358 posts
489 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel

YIKES - that sound brutal - there was talk of a bridge to Corolla - haven't heard anything lately - anyone know the update to that?!

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
431 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel

Wow, that is terrible. Sorry you had to travel such a long way and get stuck like that. It's such a long trip from MA, I can't imagine arriving to that parking lot! All of the regular advisors on this forum recommend avoiding Saturday arrivals at peak times for that reason. Renting south of the bridge is a much better option if you have to arrive at a peak time. I just talked to someone who had a Sunday rental in Corolla a few weeks ago and traffic was a breeze. I tell people to stay over in Chesapeake and come in early (before 11).

The bridge is still being discussed but the odds seem very low.

Philadelphia...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel

We are driving from Philly to South Nags Head July 20. Most likely we would cross the bridge between noon and 2 PM. Is it worth going around using 17 to 64 and getting on through Manteo to avoid the traffic?

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel

AlwayssSunny A better way would be taking 460 out of Petersburg Va to Suffolk pick up 32 and follow that to NC 64 into Manteo in my opinion

MD
Level Contributor
798 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel

I would take fish-oinc's advice. If you're coming in around 2 pm on a Saturday, you don't want to be anywhere near 158. Since you aren't in the northern beaches, no need for you to suffer through the pain. Alternatively, plan to arrive around 8 pm and all is good again.