We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wildfires--how bad is the smoke?

Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Wildfires--how bad is the smoke?

I am traveling with my one year old daughter to Corolla on June 4th, and I am concerned about the smoke/air quality warnings that have been issued through the national weather service. Can anyone tell me what it is really like, and what we should be prepared for? Thank you!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
182 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Wildfires--how bad is the smoke?

We are staying in Southern Shores beginning 7/3. Thanks for everyone's insight. I never thought I would be hopeful for a downpour of rain. If the smoke is bad some day - would you recommend we go further north to Corolla for the day, or there was a comment here we could head South to the Hatteras/Ocracoke area? Thanks for any tips about a beach day get away that may have a reduced smoke chance.

Virginia
Level Contributor
318 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Wildfires--how bad is the smoke?

Makua: You need to look at the wind direction each day, and since it changes frequently within the day, it's difficult to plan in advance which direction you should go to get awake from the smoke.

Basically, if the wind is from the north or east, you won't have any smoke. If it is from the west, it will be blowing more toward the lower beaches (Avon, Hatteras, etc.). If it is blowing from the southwest, it will be hitting Southern Shores and the beaches just to the south and north of it. So going to Coquina or further south might give you a smoke-free beach, but you will have to drive throught the smoke to get there. Then by the time you get there, the wind may have shifted. Perhaps it's easier to just plan indoor activities for the times the smoke is in Southern Shores and hope that your house is airtight.

Laurel, MD
Level Contributor
44 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Wildfires--how bad is the smoke?

Or call your lawyer and sue. Again, it is both ridiculous and criminal that rental companies are permitted not to disclose this when you book or pay a final payment. Write local authorities, call the BBB, and do all you can to make change. I've been to the OBX 25+ times but will never give NC another dime because of their blatant disregard for tenants rights.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
182 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Wildfires--how bad is the smoke?

It is interesting that I contacted my rental company asking some specific questions and none of them were answered. When I asked how it was where she lived, she answered " I live in Kill Devil Hills and it is an inconvenience"

Laurel, MD
Level Contributor
44 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Wildfires--how bad is the smoke?

makau - That's my experience too. No real info. Suggest you read all the available info and make your own decision. From here you can get to the fire web site - http://www.co.dare.nc.us/ including smoke plume maps. You can also get info from news sites - hamptonroads.com/2011/06/health-worries-moun…

Also, "inconvenience" probably depends on your perspective. If you are a pack a day smoker, you have already damaged your lungs far more than the particulates from this fire will. Even if you were outside most of the day. Again, perspective.

The rental companies are in the business of making $ for themselves and their owners. They are not going to disclose public health information if it hurts their bottom line. Research and make your own decision.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Wildfires--how bad is the smoke?

Good Lord.... the first time in my life I am trying OBX (Corolla) for vacation, the State is having a natural type disaster. Rental home is paid for and plans are concrete. I guess we will just deal with it. PS: I will buy some high quality face masks I guess to minimize the smoke smell and hazard. LOL.

4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Wildfires--how bad is the smoke?

Just got back and smoke was never an issue in Corolla.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
182 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Wildfires--how bad is the smoke?

Smoke is hazy this morning and aggravated asthma in Kitty Hawk and Southern Shores this morning. Hopefully will shift but staying inside for awhile

19. Re: Wildfires--how bad is the smoke?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:39 am, July 05, 2012