We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for advice on TWIDDY rentals

Medford, New Jersey
7 posts
Save Topic
Looking for advice on TWIDDY rentals

This is our very first trip to OBX. We are looking to stay in the 4 x 4 area, North Swan, and are trying to choose from a home at 6.8 miles up the beach "Crosswinds" or between two other homes at around 9 and 10 miles up the beach "Full Speed Ahead" or "Where Sidewalk Ends". Has anyone heard or stayed at any of these homes? And is it better to stay further up the beach or not? We have a Pilot Touring 2011 model and I also don't want to worry about cars on the beach and my young teenage kids. Thanks!

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,913 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for advice on TWIDDY rentals

I can't comment on the 4x4 area since I try to avoid it - my cars get enough salt without driving in sand. I can tell you that Twiddy is a good company with high standards and you will not have a problem with them.

Medford, New Jersey
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for advice on TWIDDY rentals

Yes, I can see why you might avoid it, but we really wanted to have an experience... I guess I should be careful what I wish for... My mind is set to be among the horses and sand just wish I knew how much traffic we will have in front of the house etc. I am thinking it must be quieter the farther you go up the beach (to Virginia line). Thanks for the reply.

Mentioned in this post
Ringoes, NJ
Level Contributor
26 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for advice on TWIDDY rentals

Hi,

We will be making our 6th trip to OBX in August. (You might find, as many people do, that once you go to the OBX you want to keep coming back). We always stay in Corolla, which is just south of the 4x4 area. We have driven on the beach ourselves (Honda Pilot) with no trouble, and we have also taken the wild horse tours in which a tour guide drove.

Below is a link to a forum called "OBX Connection". It's a great wealth of information for travel to the OBX. There is a post specifically from someone who stayed in the 4x4 area for the first time last year. She provides lots of detail which you might find helpful:

obxconnection.com/outer-banks-message-board/…

From this post you can navigate through the website, and there is even a decent serach engine.

We are using Twiddy for the first time this year, and from what I've read, they are among the top rental companies in the area.

Good luck and have a wonderful trip!

Mentioned in this post
Corolla
Corolla
Outer Banks, NC
Ringoes, NJ
Level Contributor
26 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for advice on TWIDDY rentals

Hi,

We will be making our 6th trip to OBX in August. (You might find, as many people do, that once you go to the OBX you want to keep coming back). We always stay in Corolla, which is just south of the 4x4 area. We have driven on the beach ourselves (Honda Pilot) with no trouble, and we have also taken the wild horse tours in which a tour guide drove.

Below is a link to a forum called "OBX Connection". It's a great wealth of information for travel to the OBX. There is a post specifically from someone who stayed in the 4x4 area for the first time last year. She provides lots of detail which you might find helpful:

obxconnection.com/outer-banks-message-board/…

From this post you can navigate through the website, and there is even a decent serach engine. Good luck and have a wonderful trip!

Mentioned in this post
Corolla
Corolla
Outer Banks, NC
Medford, New Jersey
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for advice on TWIDDY rentals

Hi sharandmike80!

Thank you for your reply. I am going to check out the post you told me about right away! Thanks again! Hope you have a wonderful 6th trip!!

Western NY State
Level Contributor
10 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for advice on TWIDDY rentals

So right about about keep coming back!! This will be our third year and we stay in a private development within spitting distance to the preserve. We have taken the tours and my daughter's Jeep Liberty hauled us all in the 4 x 4 area without trouble -- in most places she didn't even engage 4 wheel drive. Only on iffy spot. In general, the traffic drives on the ocean side of the dunes and the houses are behind the dunes. There are specific breaks in the dunes to allow access to the houses, so you really have to pay attention to the mileage markers and the directions. Because you have to cross the dunes to get to your house, you will most likely have to drive to the beach and set up for the. There is only one house on the ocean side of the dunes, and when the tide is high you can only drive by on one side! Go to the Twiddy site, go to the houses you are looking for and look at the satellite map. Or Google map the house, satellite, and zoom in. You will be able to see the house and its location to the dunes and the water's edge. We have used Twiddy the past 2 years, and, as already stated, they are a real class act!!

Dallas, Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for advice on TWIDDY rentals

Twiddy is expensive, but we've found over many years that they're a whole lot cheaper than being disappointed with someone else.

Amherst...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for advice on TWIDDY rentals

We're coming back for our 5th year in a row. We always stay in Corolla but we have rented Jeeps and ventured into the Corova beach area. One thing to consider is the traffic on the beach itself, regardless of how close it is to your house. I too wanted to stay up that way until I saw how many vehicles there were on the beach. We personally found it annoying. It just took away from the whole beach experience. I'll take the relative peace & quite of Whalehead over that any day. But that's just my opinion.

Mentioned in this post
Corolla
Corolla
Outer Banks, NC
Vineland, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for advice on TWIDDY rentals

This will be our 10th year in the 4x4 area and with Twiddy. We have always had a positive experience with Twiddy - from rental to check in to problem resolution, they are the best. We rent about 3.5 miles up the beach. I think that no matter where you go, you will experience traffic......but remember , it is not "traffic" in the true sense of the word. Most vehicles observe the speed limit and are very careful when they see children on the beach. We've had our boys there since they were toddlers and have not had any issues. I would feel comfortable with them out there as teenagers. Hope you have a great trip!

North Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for advice on TWIDDY rentals

We also wanted the 4x4 beach area -at least to try it. We did once last year and stayed approx 9 miles up the beach in a home that had a beach view a huge pool and the horses outside our window. These were nice things but the house itself was greatly run down (we paid no less than we usually do-actually a little more -$3200.00) ,the water coming from the faucets with the advertised "water treatment system" was the most disgusting water I have ever encountered. It smelled like rotten eggs and you could not cook with it or drink it. When you stood in the shower and it hit your face when you washed your hair it actually gagged you. (seroiusly) The bathroom smelled so bad just from the water. My husband showered maybe 2 times all week-thank goodness for the cholorinated pool. I felt awful bathing our kids in the gross water. I grew up in Ohio with well water and this was nothing like well water with a traditional sulfur smell or taste. The knives and silverware in the kitchen were all rusty from the bad water. Who wants to use rusty utensils? I couldnt give the water to our dog either. Also one other thing to consider every time you want to go somewhere in the 4x4 area you have to get your vehicle down the beach just to get to your destination and come back. If you like to ride bikes you have to drive just to park your car and go. We love Corolla and would not stay anywhere else but we stay 1.5 miles from the end of the road-still close to everything and take our 4x4 Toyota Tundra everytime versus our fully loaded minivan. We love the Corolla beach. Not trying to be negative about the 4x4 area but it was not the best experience for our family. We have never used Twiddy but they seemed really friendly when we picked up a brochure.

Mentioned in this post
Ohio
Ohio
United States
Corolla
Corolla
Outer Banks, NC