We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Visitors to Corolla Light

Woodbridge, VA
3 posts
Save Topic
First Time Visitors to Corolla Light

My wife, 11-month old, two pugs, and I will be visiting Corolla Light later this summer for the first time. Some basic questions for more experienced Corolla Light visitors:

1) Everything I've read about the resort has been positive, but I've only read reviews of houses, villas, and the Inn. Has anyone stayed in a condo there? That is where we will be staying - in the "Mirage" section of the resort.

2) What are some good restauant options for a family traveling with a baby? She will be eating table food by then, and we plan to do most of the eating in the condo. But any help on reliable family restaurants would be great.

3) Any experience with dogs there? Is the beach friendly to them? Is there a decent amount of green space for bathroom breaks, etc?

4) I've been researching the nearest medical facilities/vets in case something happens with one of us or the dogs. The nearest hospital I found was in Nags Head, and the nearest vet looked to be in Kitty Hawk. Am I right? Any suggestions otherwise?

Thanks in advance!

Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,741 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time Visitors to Corolla Light

We only needed a doctor once in Corolla..to get a fish hook out of the finger of a member of our group. The rental company referred us to a doctor in Corolla, I believe it was the one at 1123 Oceantrail. But check with the rental company to be sure and get hours. I think there are a couple of doctors who share the space. The doctor at that time had a drawer full of fishhooks she showed people that had been pulled out of fingers and feet.

You must be right on the vet's office. We don't know of any further north. It makes sense that it would be in the most populated area, especially for a year round practice.

Love the resort. Haven't been to the condos there.

Ask the company about walking the dogs/restrictions. They must be set up for it since they allow pets. Love pugs. Never brought our doggies though ourselves.

You'll like the pool for the littler ones. Don't know about an actual baby pool but have spent a lot of time at the sort of toddler to six year old pool. It has a large deck and lots of lounge chairs just like the big people's pool so you're not scrunched around a little pool. It starts our shallow...but then goes to about 4 or 5 feet I think.

The restaurant at the Pool area is great for kids. Eat out on the second floor deck and enjoy the sites and breeze.

Woodbridge, VA
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time Visitors to Corolla Light

Thank you, explorer3. Very helpful information.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time Visitors to Corolla Light

There is an excellent vet right as you cross the bridge into Kitty Hawk called Martins Point Vet Hospital. They are one of the best on the beach, and would be the closest for you, if staying in Corolla.

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Mount Olive, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time Visitors to Corolla Light

I don't know about Mirage, but the homes there do look nice and have lawns. The beaches a completely friendly to dogs. There are no restrictions to them in Corolla (well, they have to be leashed, but everybody breaks that one!). There are plenty of family and take out restaurants in the area for you and the baby. There is an doctor in Corolla, and the Outer Banks Hospital in Nags Head. The closest vet is indeed in Nags Head. Have a great vacation!

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time Visitors to Corolla Light

Please don't break the lease law, it is in place for a reason. I love dogs, but do not want them walking and shaking sand and water all over me while I sit on the beach. :)

7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time Visitors to Corolla Light

The mirage condos are nice but a little far from the beach. You normally would utilize the trolley to get to the beach but with the dogs and baby (and gear) it may be difficult. There is plenty of green areas around the condos themselves that will suffice but be respectful and pick up after them. Your condos are across from the sportcenter which is a top notch facility. Oceanfront facility is well laid out and the crab cakes at the restaurant are easily the best on the Outer Banks (I have tried them all!)

Here's my local secrets:

1. There is a path just South of the condos where you are staying that is a straight shot to the beach, look behind the free standing Mirage units, it leads through the trees. Best option if you want to walk it.

2. Medical House Calls 252-475-2007 Rikki Schuster is the best for non emergency medical attention. She comes to you and can prescribe/diagnos/advise, etc.. I live here and use her all the time for my 15 month old and my family because it saves you HOURS you'd sit in an urgent care facility. She gives you a form to file with you insurance.

3. Dr. Dowty Mobile Vet Clinic. 252-480-6669. Comes to you and your pets. (See how easy we can make your vacation)

4. Check out the Soundside pool in Corolla Light. It is very close by to the condo and often underutilized. It's a nice spot for little ones.

5. Take the dogs to the Whalehead Club by the Lighthouse. If you can't wear them out there.... For a good stroll (may be lengthy) go to the Sound from the condo and walk the trails all the way to the lighthouse and the histoic Corolla Village. There are some hidden shops, a BBQ hut, and an old schoolhouse with a Wild Horse Exhibit that is geared towards the kids, very interactive.

6. You can arrange when you get down to have your beach chairs and/or umbrellas put out for you every morning with you name on it so you don't have to lug it to the beach everyday. It may be worth it if you opt to take the trolley to the beach and have a lot of other gear. To set up just go to the oceanfront complex and walk down to the beach.

7. Re: First Time Visitors to Corolla Light

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:21 am, October 02, 2009