We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation in mid-August (I hope)...

Which Corolla hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southern New Jersey
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Vacation in mid-August (I hope)...

How bad are the supermarkets mobbed on Saturdays in August? Any tips in how to handle? Any suggestions on where to buy fresh seafood/shellfish? Do they stil have ATV tours of the north beaches? Also, can a Toyota Sequoia (large SUV) handle beach driving in Carova? Thanks in advance for any help! ;^)

Wilmington, N.C.
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation in mid-August (I hope)...

Going to Corolla? Supermarket crowds will probably be fairly heavy in August, so like anywhere else, if you can get in shortly after opening or pretty close to closing, the crowds will be less severe. As far as the fresh shellfish, just ask around when you get there. Other vacationers will have had the same ideas and found the best places for that. I haven't been that way in a few years, so I'm not much help in that department. As for the Sequoia in the sand, just note that if you'll be in soft, deep sand, you'll want to lower your tire psi, for much better grip and traction in the sand. Then, you shouldn't have any trouble( as long as that Sequoia has 4WD), and when you get back on the Hwy, you can stop at a service station and refill them back to normal. I used to frequent beach acess spots along Hwy 12 (Outer Banks), and I've pulled many a stuck vehicle out of deep sand because they didn't drop their tire psi. Anyways, enjoy your trip and let me know how it went!

Southern New Jersey
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation in mid-August (I hope)...

Thanks for the response! I had a feeling it was (and still is) bad the first day (Saturdays). It's been six years since the last time we were there. The Sequoia is 4WD (last time we had a 4WD Jeep Cherokee and had no problems). My only real concern at this point is what is more dominant in the Pacific Ocean, El Nino or La Nina...

Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
403 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation in mid-August (I hope)...

Hey Freeholder. My Freehold based uncle just left my house last week. Small world...

Since your last visit, a second grocery store has opened in Corolla. Harris Teeter joins the Food Lion and is located near the entrance to The Currituck Club. Both are still crowded. Bring some staples with you and shop either early Saturday, if you get there soon enough, or early Sunday.

There is a seafood market in the same shopping area as the Visitor Center, Village Realty and Just for the Beach on 12. I can't remember the name of it, but I have heard good things.

ATVs are no longer allowed on the northern beaches, I believe. SUV tours have replaced them in that area.

Southern New Jersey
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation in mid-August (I hope)...

Thanks for the update Fore...I'm looking forward to the trip and chillin' out. I do have a couple of kids (10 & 11) so I'll have to find a few things for them to do. I'll probably food shop Sunday AM (hopefully they restock overnight!) and I'll bring some things with us as well. Are there family things to do in Duck?

Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
403 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation in mid-August (I hope)...

Here are some of the things we do with my kids (9 and 12):

Go-carts and bumper cars in Timbuck II in Corolla

Mini golf

Lighthouse climbing

This year we are going to check out the Wildlife Center next to the Whalehead Club

Wright Memorial

If you're in the mood for a drive - Roanoke Island Festival Park in Manteo

There's also a skatepark at the Corolla Light Shops if your kids are into that. Mine aren't, so I can't give a thumbs up or thumbs down on the facility.

And finally, 2 big shovels in the sand give my kids hours of fun. The key there is to get 2 shovels --no fighting, save that for the car : )

Mount Olive, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vacation in mid-August (I hope)...

As long as the Sequoia is 4wd, you should be fine. Gotta love those Toyota suv's!! Always dependable

Mount Olive, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vacation in mid-August (I hope)...

As long as the Sequoia is 4wd, you should be fine. Gotta love those Toyota suv's!! Always dependable

Springfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vacation in mid-August (I hope)...

Hi Freeholder.

When we go to Corolla we always come onto the island before 11:00 am. We do our grocery shopping late at night after we settle in. The later you go the better. LIke 10:00 or 11:00 at night. Lines can be a drag but they seem to be worse at Food Lion than at Teeters. I like Teeters better anyway because it has fresher produce and more variety in food choices. There is a great fruit market right in town down the road from Food LIon. There is also a fresh seafood store in the plaza by the Food Lion and movie theatre. Oh yeah! When we leave the island we leave very early. Sometimes around 4, 5, or 6 am.

Hope you have a blast. Corolla is great!.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vacation in mid-August (I hope)...

Make sure you air down the tires BEFORE you drive on the sand.

Check your owners book to determine the pressure!

Southern New Jersey
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vacation in mid-August (I hope)...

Thanks to all for the great info! Yes the Sequoia is 4WD (and the only SUV with every vowel in its name ;) ). Teeters sounds good and so does that fruit/vegetable market...looking forward to a great time! Thanks again!

Get answers to your questions about Corolla
Recent Conversations