We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unfriendly, rude Bent Creek - LL Cabin Renters beware

Asheville, NC
2 posts
Save Topic
Unfriendly, rude Bent Creek - LL Cabin Renters beware

I recently rented a home in Lake Lure from LL Cabin Rentals. The home was equipped for up to seventeen people with access to a beach and two ponds.

When my family and I went to the "private gated" beach area we were met by some very unfriendly people. The security gaurd was very rude and interrogated my brother in law as to how many people were renting the house, how many cars we had and then proceeded to call the owner to gripe about our four cars that went through the gate. How many cars does it take to hold 15 people?

I was told to make my family walk and we could transport them by driving back and forth from the side of Hwy 64/74 to the beach area at least a half mile away! NONE of this was mentioned in the rent agreement or any where else.

After getting to the beach, we were met by more unfriendly people. The only friendly person we met was from Arizona. She and her family had rented a log cabin at Bent Creek (inside the gated community) She also had complaints of how the year round residents were treating her family.

According to a guard whom I talked with, those who own homes and live there year round have a "sore spot" for renters. They don't like them crowding THEIR beach, or taking their parking spots, etc.

I couldn't believe the way we were treated after paying over $2,000 dollars for the week. I was even more insulted by the security guard who was so rude to my brother in law that he didn't want to go back. The trip was just before his deployment to Iraq. I really wanted him to enjoy himself.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Unfriendly, rude Bent Creek - LL Cabin Renters beware

Sorry you had a bad experience. I find Lake Lure crowded, expensive and overrated.I live about an hour away from it and quite frankly have never seen the attraction ( outside of some decent scenery). Of course, you are close as well so I guess it's all perspective. Our state as a whole has grown too fast. It is annoying to deal with increased traffic and people - but courtesy is always a good thing. I have found that many times "security" guards are cop wannabes and they get the "Barney Fife" syndrome when they put on a badge. LOL. Anyway - please thank your brother in law for his service to our country and I pray for his safety as he deploys. Best wishes.

Asheville, NC
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Unfriendly, rude Bent Creek - LL Cabin Renters beware

Thank you. I will let him know. BTW, I was corrected by my son :) The area was River Bend not Bent Creek...lol Talk about egg on your face. Thanks again and have a good day.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unfriendly, rude Bent Creek - LL Cabin Renters beware

Go to www.lakelureblog.com and under "fourm" go to general discussions and look for "Riverbend". Locals will give you insight to the problem. Lake Sewer errr Lure is over rated! But it is still a great place. River Bend? Well you get what you pay for....even if you did pay too much.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Unfriendly, rude Bent Creek - LL Cabin Renters beware

Wow! Just read that blog. I understand what happened now - poor residents.

RiverbendRiverbend
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Unfriendly, rude Bent Creek - LL Cabin Renters beware

I am sorry that your recent vacation experience was somewhat disappointing. Especially after it cost you so much money. However, I believe that the situation is not entirely as described in your post.

Riverbend does not have a "private gated" beach area. It is NOT a resort, rather it is a private, residential community. The lots are almost all designated for single family residential use. It is where we live. There are some owners that rent out their property, but the amenities are not set up on that premise. Large groups coming in overwhelm our facilities. Therefore, large groups are asked to shuttle their party to the beach so there will be parking for others. Owners, renters, guests, doesn't matter who, just be considerate of others.

We have no security guard or cop wanna-bees. That may be forced on us, but up to now those that live here try to keep an eye on things and that has sufficed. I know the "greeter" you referenced and she has such a pleasant personality that I find it very difficult to believe that she was rude. It is her job to know who comes thru the gate and where they are going, especially if there is no resident sticker or visitor hang tag visible on the car. It is private property and not open to the public. Also, the owner was never contacted. The rental agent was, who is very familiar with the community, in an attempt to find a reasonable workable solution for all.

"Sore spot for renters ... don't like them crowding their beach ... etc." Western North Carolina has some of the most friendly folks you will ever meet. However, Riverbend is NOT a resort, it is our home. This is where we live. Be fair. How would you like it if the backyard of your home was turned into party central? If the pool you paid to have installed on your property was taken over by all the children in your neighborhood just as you tried to relax with a soothing drink before dinner?

In my admittedly biased opinion, your anger should not be directed towards the folks trying to enjoy the secluded property that they purchased, or with the person trying to do her job in a very awkward situation, but rather towards whomever left you with the impression that you were renting a week at a resort. This is not Disneyland, it is our home.

Riverbend...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Unfriendly, rude Bent Creek - LL Cabin Renters beware

I agree with the resident making this posting. We are not a resort but a single family housing development with some owners making the decision to rent. We do have covenants and rules in which some people are either unaware of or have just decided to ignore them. If you have ever visited Riverbend I feel you will agree it is a beautiful area with some unusual amenities. All we ask is that you obey the rules and respect the rights of the home owners. Jeff Moore

Lake Lure NC
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Unfriendly, rude Bent Creek - LL Cabin Renters beware

For my Riverbend neighbors, THANK YOU for your honest posts!! FamilyFirst 7, I do hope that you also voiced your anger towards LL Cabin Rentals. I am sorry that you paid $2000 as I am sure that the rental agency DID NOT supply you with all the rules of our residential community. All the companies that handle rentals are looking for your dollars....they know our rules but would prefer that you don't.

Please understand that if you want resort ammenities, you should plan your vacation in a resort. Fairfield Mountains Resort has homes/condos for rent, a beach, tennis, etc. and everything is within walking distance. Riverbend is NOT a resort and we have the right to enforce whatever rules we find necessary to protect our homes and neighborhood. We homeowners pay POA fees and are entitled to living peacefully in this community. We should not have to listen to your music blasting to the wee hours on a week night because YOU are on vacation. We should not have to be buried in road dust because our posted 15mph limit does not apply to YOU. Our beach states NO ALCOHOL and NO DOGS but of course YOU are on vacation and therefore the rules do not apply. You feel since you are paying rent that you are entitled to take boats out on Mirror Lake, though they are not your property. How long do you think it would take you to become "unfriendly" if your neighborhood was invaded during the summer months??

I am NOT saying that you and your family fall into this category, but we have had a growing problem with renters and as far as I am concerned, all short term rentals should be eliminated.

Our gate house is there for a reason, and our gate person is doing her job. She is protecting our interests as homeowners to make sure that though you may be renting, you are required to abide by Riverbend rules. This woman takes daily abuse from non-residents who think they are "entitled" because they are paying rent for a week. I've never known her to be rude, and respect her for enforcing the rules.

If you have not done so, I would HIGHLY advise you taking your complaint to LL Cabin Rentals and perhaps they will no longer take rentals in Riverbend.

Lake Lure
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Unfriendly, rude Bent Creek - LL Cabin Renters beware

I want everyone to know that we do give the renters RULES when staying in Riverbend. They are also posted in the homes/cabins they are renting. I have given one of the guards at the gatehouse a copy of what we give and post regarding pets for the pet friendly rentals. I also tell them not to leave their lights on at night so they won't shine into anyones windows. I tell them to follow the posted speed limit of 15mph in Riverbend and not to use any of the boats at the lake unless their rental has provided one for their use.

Yes, we are a business trying to make money but we do not ignore any situation that we know about. When contacted by the guard we do respond asap to take care of the matter and get it resolved. I feel that we as rental managers do a good job to try and make everything run smooth. I know and understand that the people that live there yearly don't like rentals. I myself have a house on my street that is not in Riverbend that is a vacation home and gets renters in. That is the choice of the homeowner who decides to rent out his place to supplement the payments so they can afford a second home.

Sites like VRBO that rents by emails and sends people the keys or has a lock box never really know who is renting their home. It could be a bunch of teenagers wanting a party house and they would never know. At least with a rental management company we do know who is coming into the rentals as we do have to see them to check them in.

Lake Lure NC
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Unfriendly, rude Bent Creek - LL Cabin Renters beware

Your comments are appreciated, LL Cabin Rentals.

May I ask a question of you? Why are you renting houses in Riverbend (posted on your website) for periods less than one week when you are aware that in May, notification was made that ALL rentals had to be 7 days/6 nights??

You list homes in Riverbend showing availability for TWO nights. This is in violation of our rules yet YOU choose to ignore them for the commission you receive!! Are you REALLY working with us or working for the greenbacks?

Gee, I am sorry that you have a rental home on your street. We have over 40 homes that are available for rent in Riverbend. Do you REALLY think we are happy about so many non-residents crowding us out of the areas we are paying for year around?? We pay property taxes, we pay POA fees and then have to put up with the arrogance of renters. Is this fair??

To get the renters to follow the rules is not working.

And you are not following our rules either.

By the way, your renters that started this topic don't seem to get it. This IS OUR BEACH. OUR ROADS. OUR HOMES. Respect it, or rent a room in a motel. Your renters offer NO benefit to the residents of Riverbend.

Lake Lure
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Unfriendly, rude Bent Creek - LL Cabin Renters beware

The people I work with were discussing maybe a solution to part of the problem.

How about if we just rent the cabin/home and it won't come with the amenities of Riverbend. We would tell them and make them sign something stating that they know that the amenities are not a part of the rental and solely belong to the property owners that live there. They can use the beach at Lake Lure like any other tourist does when they come here.

I'd like this to be a win win situation for everyone.

Get answers to your questions about Chimney Rock
More Chimney Rock Topics