We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Relocating for Charlotte from Chicago...what about schools?

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Relocating for Charlotte from Chicago...what about schools?

We are considering relocating from Chicago to Charlotte later this year. I am originally from Ohio, my husband is from Michigan, and we've lived in the downtown area of Chicago for 8 years and just recently moved to the NW suburbs. We are not convinced, however, that the suburbs of Chicago is where we want to live long-term. My husband's sister and her family relocated from Michigan to Charlotte (near Matthews area) about 1.5 years ago and love it. To them, it's a family haven - clean city, easy to raise kids, lots to do, great weather, cheaper cost of living. It sounds fantastic, but what DOWN sides are there to making a move from the midwest to Charlotte (besides the allergies)? Also, I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on what areas of Charlotte have great schools. We have a 20-month old and will plan on having one more this year. Thanks in advance for any insight!

Mentioned in this post
Ohio
Ohio
United States
Matthews
Matthews
North Carolina
tega cay sc
1 post
Save Reply
11. Re: Relocating for Charlotte from Chicago...what about schools?

my opinion is that the fort mill schools are good for a state that places near bottom in education statewide. Growth in this area is the highest of south carolina! i feel that education has already started to suffer because we've had to hire so many new teachers (some right out of school) as with anything, experience and knowledge of the program credits success. One of the elementary schools is so full that it isn't even taking any more students and you have to enroll in another school. there are no educational options in fort mill or tega cay. no charter schools and no private schools. While i feel you can get a good education, it depends on serveral things. How well your child does to begin with. I notice that most the children that do well have alot of parent support at home. i'll call it supplimenting education. its been my experience that unless you can normally cruise along. or if you have failed testing so bad that you quilify to stay after scholl for two hours two days a week. that the other children who may not grasp something one time or another are S.O.L. I've been told they just don't have the time to check that my child has certain material to study for a test. recently i felt my 3rd grader needed reinforcment on his multiplication skills. An e-mail was sent school wide asking anyone if i could HIRE (pay!) for some extra help. not one reply! bottom line i feel they lack a support system for the average child who needs help now and then. if you can stay on top of it and can step in to fill in the gaps then you will be just fine.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Relocating for Charlotte from Chicago...what about schools?

Hi Carrie, great to see another Chicagoan and Ohioan out there! My other question is to you and anyone else who has recently relocated to Charlotte with a young family; how easy have you found it to meet new people and make new friends? Other than my sister-in-law and her family who live in Charlotte (but may actually be transferring to Atlanta for her husband's job), we don't know anyone else there. I guess the main drivers for us to move to Charlotte would be the cheaper cost of living, better lifestyle, weather, and the fact that most of my clients are in the southeast anyway. It would be so nice to find a place that had a strong sense of community; Chicago seems to large and daunting to us after being here for 9 years. Any thoughts/comments on this subject would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Birmingham, al
2 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Relocating for Charlotte from Chicago...what about schools?

We are relocating to Rock Hill or Fort Mill, SC. My husband's new account is in Rock Hill. I see good things about Fort Mill. We found a Catholic School, St. Anne's in Rock Hill. Does anyone know anything about the school. Anyone have any insight in comparing Rock Hill with Fort Mill. In Fort Mill we are interested in Baxter Village - though there are very few houses to choose from currnetly. Any insight will be much appreciated!

southcarolina
Level Contributor
704 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Relocating for Charlotte from Chicago...what about schools?

to mommieto2l: We knew nothing prior to moving here over a year ago (thank goodness for the internet) and we too were looking at Rock Hill and the Fort Mill area. Now after being here for awhile I'm glad we made the decision we did. Rock Hill is nice but I just recently read that Rock Hill is over 50% rental properties. Sorry but I can't tell you anything about the Catholic School since most people here attend Fort Mill School District (and are very pleased). Regarding Baxter Village...it is very nice and know some people that live there and they love it. It is very well planned (by Spring Industries, which makes textiles: Springmaid, Warmsutta, etc). All things are designed to be within, such as Orchard Park Elem (Fort Mill School Dist.), YMCA, shops, restaurants, and more. There is another development that seems to be doing very well and that is Lake Shore in Tega Cay (www.lakeshorelakewylie.com) that you might want to check into too. If I can be of anymore help to you...just post a message. I wish you the best of luck with your move.

southcarolina
Level Contributor
704 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Relocating for Charlotte from Chicago...what about schools?

sorry but the website for Lake Shore is www.lakeshoreonlakewylie.com

Birmingham, al
2 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Relocating for Charlotte from Chicago...what about schools?

to lovetegacaysc: Thank you for responding to my posting. Would you know anything about the preschools in the area? We have a two year old and I am not finding what I am looking for. There seems to be FullDay programs. I am looking for two ams's. A Mothers Day Out would be great. My husband (already working in SC ) is looking at Baxter Village with our Realtor this afternoon. Thanks again for any information!

southcarolina
Level Contributor
704 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Relocating for Charlotte from Chicago...what about schools?

to mommieto2l: You are very welcome. The only one I know a little about is at Lakeshore Christian Fellowship (803)548-2755. Several people I know in this area (that includes Baxter) have children that go there (and it is half-day). I know that there are others (many of the churches around here have them...and trust me...there are a lot of churches to choose from :o) Hope your husband likes what he will see today (tell him to take a look around at the Tega Cay area too...you know just in case :o) You might also want to take a peek at some of my other posts for more info. Again good luck and if I can be of anymore help just let me know.